Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Would you?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by shoppe, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. shoppe

    shoppe Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2005
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Let's say you really want to get into a pharmacy school in your state but you are missing a few pre-pharmacy courses that they required and would have to wait a year to finish because they are only offer in the fall. Also, if you finish those two courses, you will also finish your degree. Suppose you are a good candidate and have met all the other criteria for other out of state pharmacy schools which are your 2nd or 3rd choice. Considering that you have to pay out of state tuition if you get accepted and that you also have a good chance of getting in the pharmacy near your place. Would you hold out for one more year and finish with your degree or would you just try to get into pharmacy school as soon as possible?
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. sweetmurphy

    sweetmurphy Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would try to get into pharm school as soon as possible and then transfer to the school I wanted to go to originally :)
     
  4. ultracet

    ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Messages:
    1,938
    Likes Received:
    7
    transfering doesn't always work...

    you may have to repeat your entire P1 year if you do that...

    i definitely do not recommend that...


    if its not where you want to go then don't go... you may have a bad attitude and think... if only i had gone to state.....
     
  5. SearsTower

    SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Messages:
    310
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Schools close to home are always appealing for financial reasons. Stick around for another year if you're certain you'll get in.
     
  6. inocenciotj

    inocenciotj Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2005
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Hm... If finances were more important, then I'd wait a year. But for me, time is worth more, even if it is by a year. So if I was an a similar situation, I'd probably go out of state or private if I got accepted in only those, provided that they offered some of the same programs. I guess I don't like waiting/wasting a year of my life. The sooner I graduate, the better.
     
  7. calrx

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2005
    Messages:
    566
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Regardless of where you go to pharmacy school you should be able to pay off your loans within a few years of graduating (at least thats what I've been told by pharmacists I've worked with.) Try not to let money become the primary reason for choosing any school. Go where you will be the happiest and most successful.
     
  8. DHG

    DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    573
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pharmacist
    Some schools will let you take a pre-req or two, depending on what they are, in the summer between P1 and P2. Why don't you call your state school and see if this is an option? That way you could finish your degree and everything. It's worth asking.
     
  9. rxlynn

    rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Messages:
    917
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Pharmacy Student
    Wow - I have almost the same dilemma. After I got my PCAT scores I realized that I might actually be able to get into my state school. Unfortunately, my prereqs don't match up well with their requirements, because I am a non-traditional student (read old!) and I did my BA a long time ago. All you can do is ask if there is anyway to sub something else - the worst they can do is say no. Is there any possibility that you might be able to be a transient student at another college (community, etc.) near you to do the prereqs in question (I think you said your school only offers them in fall?) Anyway, I fall into the go ahead and do it as soon as you can school of thought, but if you are only 20 or so and getting a marketable degree then it might not be the worst thing in the world to wait a year. Just be sure that you have a plan for what you are doing that year - it's harder to go back to school after being out awhile.
     

Share This Page