wow, i really messed up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dietcokeaddict

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm kind of in a bad situation and i would really like some advice. I am a 22 undergrad student with about a 2.55 GPA. I started college wanting to become a doctor, so I majored in biology. In my freshman and sophomore years I mostly carried a 3.5-3.75 GPA...but then came my mental breakdown. 😱 I got really depressed, stopped going to classes, and my grades became straight F's. Unfortunately, i didn't really tell anybody about my grade situation or about my deteriorating mental condition, so I continued on like this for about three semesters. By the time my friends formed an intervention and my parents stepped in and took me home, i was completely delusional...and my GPA was trashed.

It took me a few weeks to recover, and I started school at my local university the next semester. I switched to a computer science major so that I could have a fresh start. I didn't take a heavy load, only three classes, and finished the semester with a 4.0.

Have i ruined my chances for med school forever? I have about 150 credit hours. 😱 I have about a year and a half until I graduate, but even three more semesters of 4.0 probably wouldn't do much to raise my GPA. Plus I am kind of worried about explaining why my grades dropped so drastically. Would they just think that i was mentally unfit to be a doctor? What do you all think? Thanks for helping!!