WREB CTP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenignDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at the end of my residency training (4 years long) and need to take WREB for CA licensure as they do not accept my NERB and cannot get licensure by residency as I am an OMFS.

What is the CTP exam all about? I read through the candidate tutorial but it is not very helpful. Any experiences would be appreciated. Do you have to write scripts for RPD/Crowns? I am thinking of buying the Dentin WREB Dentists 2015 book - is that helpful? I haven't treatment planned RPD's in 4 years.

Can I just do implant treatment plans for all these cases? Thanks in advance. This is going to be a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a pretty straight forward treatment planning exam. Questions revolve around making appropriate adjustments to tx given a pt's med hx, writing Rx both for meds and lab orders, and general dentistry based tx planning. You would likely be fine with just taking the exam, especially if you're OMFS.

It's a pretty straight forward treatment planning exam. Questions revolve around making appropriate adjustments to tx given a pt's med hx, writing Rx both for meds and lab orders, and general dentistry based tx planning. You would likely be fine with just taking the exam, especially if you're OMFS.

Great. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it as this portion of the test is foreign to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's not too bad. The manual states that you can't change you tx plan after your submit, so just be judicious before submitting. The med stuff will be a breeze for you. Good luck!

Can you explain why OMFS doesn't count as PGY1? I was under the impression that any CODA-accredited residency program is accepted. As far as the WREB CTP goes, it's super easy - you won't have a problem with it at all.

Sorry I guess I should have just Googled. Wow I didn't realize that only GPR and AEGD residencies counted toward licensure! I also didn't realize that if you take WREB you have to PASS it regardless of residency. That seems crazy that CA would want OMFSs to take an exam consisting of endo, perio, and operative to practice oral surgery after 4-6 years of intensive residency. Dental licensure makes absolutely no sense.

Source: http://www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/dds/lic_by_residency.shtml

Reactions: 1 user