Write Canadian & US DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pats0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a Canadian student in my 3rd year. I am planning to write my Canadian DAT this November and to apply to Canadian dental schools this year for 2011 admission.

I understand that it is very difficult to get into Canadian schools and so I want to have the option of applying to US schools for the 2012 admission year, if I don't get into a Canadian school.

I was wondering if you would recommend I write my US DAT this summer and use it for the 2012 admission year or should I just not bother and use my Canadian DAT results? Do you know if schools that accept Canadian students prefer the US DAT?

Another reason I am considering this is because I read on here that even if you score in a high percentile on the Canadian DAT you will get a lower DAT score compared to if you scored in the same percentile on the US DAT.

So should I bother writing the US DAT?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's up to you. If you're sure you can score 20+ on the Canadian DAT, just use those scores. However, if you're not sure, take the US DAT. Like you said, you'll score 1-2 points higher on the US DAT anyway. It also takes a while for your CDAT scores to get sent to the US schools... preventing you from getting any pre-Dec 1 interviews. I would wrote the US DAT around August and use those scores for your US applications. It's also practice for the CDAT in Nov.

Hi, I am currently a Canadian student in my 3rd year. I am planning to write my Canadian DAT this November and to apply to Canadian dental schools this year for 2011 admission.

I understand that it is very difficult to get into Canadian schools and so I want to have the option of applying to US schools for the 2012 admission year, if I don't get into a Canadian school.

I was wondering if you would recommend I write my US DAT this summer and use it for the 2012 admission year or should I just not bother and use my Canadian DAT results? Do you know if schools that accept Canadian students prefer the US DAT?

Another reason I am considering this is because I read on here that even if you score in a high percentile on the Canadian DAT you will get a lower DAT score compared to if you scored in the same percentile on the US DAT.

So should I bother writing the US DAT?

Thanks.