Write out pathways while in test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkygalore

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone's thought of this before, but I could find a thread. Anyway...

I hate biochem. Hate, hate, hate. So I was wondering... would it be worth it to memorize that one big biochem combined pathway chart in First Aid and write it on my little wipeable page before I start the exam? At my Prometric trial, they didn't really seem to care if I erased my sheets between sections, nor was anyone paying a lot of attention to me writing a few things on them during breaks (though I didn't write much.)

I don't want to get in trouble, and I don't want to waste time writing the whole pathway out of I have to erase it later, but man, it would be a real confidence booster just to know I had that thing sitting there to reference.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you mean to place this in the Step I forum instead of the Kaplan forum?

I don't think writing out a pathway chart would be worth your time. There aren't that many questions that reference it and time is at a premium. If you absolutely must, do it during the tutorial (which will come out of your total break time).

Members don't see this ad :)
I also hate biochem. One of my worst subjects, but I don't see how writing out that whole pathway in FA would be beneficial. Cause in the end you would still need to memorize those key enzymes, rate-limiting steps, substrate accumulations, etc.

Not only would you be wasting time writing on that board but everytime you came across a biochem question you would have to refer to it. The better thing to do is to commit that stuff to memory. That way you will save much more time answering questions and you will be much more efficient. If you feel it is one of your weaker subjects spend more time in it to really get it down.

I would forget memorizing that long chart and concentrate on the other pertinant information in that section.

I'm not even sure you could fit that pathway on the dry erase board, especially since the pens they give you are so thick. If you can remember enough to draw the pathway, then you will remember the answer to a pathway question right away based on the multiple choices. It's not worth the time.

Definitely not worth it. For the number of pathway-related biochem questions there actually are on the exam, this would be incredibly low yield. Most of the "biochem" questions I can remember were really inborn error of metabolism type stuff, not straight pathways.

Would it have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP to?

Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

honestly i questioned the same strategy but come test day i didnt find it necessary. if you do draw them at least wait until a question comes up that involves them because the chances of getting a question on a specific pathway were slim to none.