write up tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My store is a mess . There is no accountability. The pic is unable to manage the store. He never writes up a tech. Thd" no call no show up, the excessive rardiness is normal at my store.
Question
As a staff rph at cvs,can i write up tech or should i leave it to the pic?

Members don't see this ad.

u can address those issues directly to the DM. dont bother addressing it to the district sup, he will think you're a trouble maker, n he will ignore u. the DM will listen.

My store is a mess . There is no accountability. The pic is unable to manage the store. He never writes up a tech. Thd" no call no show up, the excessive rardiness is normal at my store.
Question
As a staff rph at cvs,can i write up tech or should i leave it to the pic?
I would never write up a tech.
You need to recognize that you're only perpetuating social injustices on someone who makes less than 20% of your salary.

You need to check your RPh privilege

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All my techs make $20-21/hr so, NOT 20% of my wage. It's close to 1/3 for no degree, I think that's pretty good. At 65ish... after tax you only bring in, $350/8h. Not by any means good... but for a tech it's $168-tax.

Write them up if you want to, you need to hold them accountable, make sure it's repeated offenses and you have to document it. Apply it across the board, don't single out a tech or you will get in trouble.

Without a strong PIC it'll be tough. I took over a store a while ago that was notorious for call outs. They would consistently get 30 hours a week and pick and choose when they come in. I came in saying don't try me with that BS. Most got it, but a couple didn't. Took them off the schedule or gave them like 4 hours a week lol they begged so much to work and even said they need $ for bills or phone will be shut off. Told them thats what pay phones are for. I've never wrote a tech up. I let you know what I expect and i'll help you achieve it. The rest is up to you. You can't be professional at your job, your hours go away and I can give two sh*ts about what bills you have with the student loans we all have lol

You need to recognize that you're only perpetuating social injustices on someone who makes less than 20% of your salary.

what? So this allows people to constantly come in late, no show and perform like **** at there job because they make less? I find this disrespectful to the PIC, staff phatmacist and the rest of the staff if this is a constant thing. Don't apply for the job if you can't handle the responsibility.

Reactions: 1 users

You're joking...I think. :)

Reactions: 1 user
It will get twisted that you are a bad rph and they are calling off because you treat them so poorly. They will encourage you to use values in action to make them feel appreciated and buy them lunch.

It will get twisted that you are a bad rph and they are calling off because you treat them so poorly. They will encourage you to use values in action to make them feel appreciated and buy them lunch.
Nope the supervisor knows me . I have been working at the store for 4.5 years . They know my work ethic..

It can't be that hard to get rid of people at CVS for attendance, especially if they have no PTO. Some people do not change. Get rid of them ASAP

It can't be that hard to get rid of people at CVS for attendance, especially if they have no PTO. Some people do not change. Get rid of them ASAP
If you do it properly following CVS policy it takes a LOT of points (occurrences) to get to the termination phase of callouts. It is much more frequent that people simply quit when you start writing them up for all the call-outs. Or if they're part-time like another poster said you just stop giving them hours and the problem resolved itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Can't they fire for no call, no show the 1st time? Job abandonment
Not if you work with your HR business partner or follow policy. There is also no such thing as a 90 day probationary period according to CVS either. It's so much easier with the part-timers because you can always just give them no hours. But for the full-timers it can be a real pita. Unless you just fire them and hope they don't appeal.

If you do it properly following CVS policy it takes a LOT of points (occurrences) to get to the termination phase of callouts. It is much more frequent that people simply quit when you start writing them up for all the call-outs. Or if they're part-time like another poster said you just stop giving them hours and the problem resolved itself.

I honestly don't remember the CVS attendance policy (aside from writing people up) since over 16 months I can count on a SINGLE hand the amount of tech callouts I experienced. The following is just for comparison.

Walmart has a 6-month period of 4 occurrences (unauthorized absences) before termination. One no-call no-show = 4 occurrences. There are no writeups for callouts, but just accumulation of occurrence points. Then after 6 months the maximum rises to 9 occurrences max in a rolling 6 month period..

Also you are supposed to report your absence officially (by phone or web form) no later than 1 hour before your scheduled shift time, otherwise it's officially a no-call no-show pursuant to the Attendance and Punctuality Policy (e.g., you can't just call in 3-4 hours after your shift starts) but Walmart ****ed this up in the attendance tracking system so this type of situation isn't coded correctly. I have already explained this to HRSS and my boss but no one cares apparently and my boss said actually if you can't code it officially in the attendance tracking system, you can't use it against an associate (WTF!), not even write-up for pulling that bull****.

Then in California, Walmart allows people to have BOTH protected sick pay (30 hours) and "family care" (or "kin care") pay to allow absences to be authorized, the latter of which is up to one-half (50%) of their accrued PTO. At least sick pay and family care are overlapping balances (as permitted by law) so they now deduct simultaneously (but they didn't when Walmart rolled out the new PTO system in March 2016, so ****ty associates got basically an extra 30 PTO hours protected on top of their 50% of total PTO.) Also Walmart allowed entire existing PTO balances to roll over completely to the new system (a one time thing; next year only a portion is rolled over), so we had people who would project to have ~260 PTO hours by the end of fiscal year 2017 (which ends in 2 days or January 31, 2017).

With 100 protected PTO hours an employee can miss up to 12 days with impunity, THEN they have to miss 9 more days without job protection before you can get rid of them for attendance, or just over four work weeks.

Tell me CVS is not like this.

Yeah part timers are very easy. Just give them 0 hours. Full timers I document everything and give them 30 hours which is the minimum and stick to mostly 5 hour shifts to get them to the 30 hours. But document everything and once you have a decent amount documented talk to the employee and if it continues partner with DM and terminate the person.

Reactions: 1 users
6 five hour shifts would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

6 five hour shifts would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It does but if you suck at your job, have no motivation to learn, call out and are just there for a paycheck thats what you get

Really? No probaton period and people can just not show up and not call without getting fired? Sounds crazy.

I had a tech that I deee-spised call in 1 hour and 45 minutes after they were supposed to have shown up.
I had the go ahead from to start the write up for the term process as soon as it hit 2 hours.
She called in, supposedly, from JAIL.
I was practically salivating and laughing maniacally while typing up the corrective action.
[Record scratching noise]

As soon as HR found out why she called in, they put a full stop on everything and told me we couldn't touch her.

I asked wtf, and never got an answer.

If you schedule a full timer six 5 hour shifts in a week then they get overtime pay for working on the 6th day at an union store. Union stores consider working more than 5 days a week to be automatic overtime for the 6th day.

I have a tech call off and then claim the other rph said it was ok...or they called the sup and the sup said it's ok because we are missing on script budget/techhours. Or they had said they weren't available to work that day but got scheduled anyways.