Writer's Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junta87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other DPT hopefuls having a tough time with the current essay question? I'm having some serious writer's block and thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we could bounce ideas off of each other. For me, even just being able to identify the source of my problems would be valuable.

Basically, I am having a hard time answering the "describe your decision-making process in choosing PT over other health careers" questions because I never considered any other health careers.

I started college very young (at 16) without a specific career path in mind, took classes that I was interested in, and ended up with a double-major in geography and german. I figured I'd get government job, or maybe become a high school German teacher. After two years (during which I had a corporate full-time job and a part-time job teaching German at an adult night school), I realized I hated the corporate world and classroom teaching! I had also always planned on moving to a different part of the country with more job opportunities (I live in rural new england), but by this time I had bought a house, opened my own karate school and married a local business owner, so moving had become out of the question.

I decided I wanted to go back to school for a *specific* career, and I needed to choose something I could study locally and that would allow me to find a good job in the area. I did a lot of research on my state's labor statistics and found that there is a shortage of PT's, they are paid well in my area, and that my local university (where I received my BA) had a great program. I didn't consider OT, PA or anything else because there aren't any programs in my state. I researched PT and realized that I already had a pretty good background for that type of work since I have spent so many years teaching karate. I shadowed some PTs and LOVED IT!

Anyway, since I made the decision to pursue PT, I have gone back to school part-time to earn the outstanding prerequisite credits. I'm now 24, have a 3.8 in the prereqs, and ready to apply, but I am so stuck on this essay question.

Anyone else in a similar position? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any other DPT hopefuls having a tough time with the current essay question? I'm having some serious writer's block and thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we could bounce ideas off of each other. For me, even just being able to identify the source of my problems would be valuable.

Basically, I am having a hard time answering the "describe your decision-making process in choosing PT over other health careers" questions because I never considered any other health careers.

I started college very young (at 16) without a specific career path in mind, took classes that I was interested in, and ended up with a double-major in geography and german. I figured I'd get government job, or maybe become a high school German teacher. After two years (during which I had a corporate full-time job and a part-time job teaching German at an adult night school), I realized I hated the corporate world and classroom teaching! I had also always planned on moving to a different part of the country with more job opportunities (I live in rural new england), but by this time I had bought a house, opened my own karate school and married a local business owner, so moving had become out of the question.

I decided I wanted to go back to school for a *specific* career, and I needed to choose something I could study locally and that would allow me to find a good job in the area. I did a lot of research on my state's labor statistics and found that there is a shortage of PT's, they are paid well in my area, and that my local university (where I received my BA) had a great program. I didn't consider OT, PA or anything else because there aren't any programs in my state. I researched PT and realized that I already had a pretty good background for that type of work since I have spent so many years teaching karate. I shadowed some PTs and LOVED IT!

Anyway, since I made the decision to pursue PT, I have gone back to school part-time to earn the outstanding prerequisite credits. I'm now 24, have a 3.8 in the prereqs, and ready to apply, but I am so stuck on this essay question.

Anyone else in a similar position? Any advice would be appreciated.

Uh, didn't you pretty much just write the essay with your post?

Kind of? That was just a stream-of-consciousness. Maybe it's my "open Microsoft word, sit down and write fantastic essay" approach that's been the problem.

I feel like what I just described explains why I decided to go pursue PT, but it doesn't explain why I chose it over other health careers. Do I have to make some things up for my essay? Like pretend I also considered OT and compare/ contrast?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I write essays, I start my just making a list of topics/points. I then try to turn each point into a paragraph.

Here is how I would do your essay

>Why does physical therapy interest me
>Why did I choose physical therapy
>How does physical therapy relate to my personal interests and hobbies (exercise/athletics related)
>What makes this profession more appealing than MD, occupational therapy, personal trainer, massage therapist
>What did I enjoy when I was doing my observation hours that made me choose physical therapy
>How would being a physical therapist give me satisfaction in my personal and professional life

Just vomit your answers to each of those question, in as many words as possible, on MS word and then clean it up into an essay.

Hope that helps

I specified what specific elements of physical therapy appealed to me, how they tied in with my broader interests and contrasted the positives with what I saw as the negatives of other healthcare fields collectively (but I never in any detail specified why I thought that, say, the OT or PA track was not as appealing to me as was PT). Now, I may have made a mistake by tackling it that way.

As JessPT said, though, you can always just say something similar to what you wrote in your first post. You can claim that you chose PT specifically due to a lack of other alternatives. Now, that may backfire on you though if you don't ensure that adcoms know that your interests won't change (i.e. that you won't drop out of school if you find something else more appealing). They need to know that you're picking PT for some deep-seeded reason and that no other health profession will satisfy your interests.