writing as an FP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemon04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am student currently taking a writing course and an assignment of ours is to pick a career we are interested in and write about the type of writing done in that job. Are there any family physicians here who would be willing to let me email/pm some more specific questions about this? PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, anyone else who is also familiar with this can help to. Some things I would like to know is what types of writing does an FP does? Is there someone to proof-read your writing? MLA or APA format used for any type of writing? Do you just take notes or write journals, etc? Send emails, letters, fill forms? How important is writing in your job and how important is grammar, mechanics, etc in the different types of writing an FP does?

Input from anyone will be much appreciated!:)

I'd prefer to communicate openly on the forum rather than by PM. That way, anyone else interested in the information can read it.

Written communication is an integral part of a physician's job, whatever the specialty: chart notes, letters to consultants, insurers, patients, etc., e-mail, forms, all of the things you mentioned. Most things are not proofread by anyone else.

If a physician is involved in research or in any sort of leadership role, the ability to communicate effectively in writing becomes even more important.

If you have specific questions, you may post them here. I'm sure that people will be able to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Well now, in what format the chart notes,letters to consults/insurer, etc written? Can anyone give an outline or possibly make up a simple example?

Thanks for the reply. Well now, in what format the chart notes,letters to consults/insurer, etc written? Can anyone give an outline or possibly make up a simple example?

Clinical notes typically follow the SOAP format (Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan). You can find tons of examples using Google, like these: http://www.mtdaily.com/mt1/miscsample.html (These aren't necessarily good examples, just examples.)

Business letters use traditional formats. Personally, I use full block components, as shown here: http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/letters/l/bl_block_p.htm

How important is spelling, grammar,etc in the notes, consults, letters? I'm guessing that its not too important as long as the material can be understood by someone else, but how necessary is it? Like in some other jobs, it is important that all writing is written well and professionally like a resume/personal statment/letter to represent yourself or company well, and can get into trouble if not.

For the academic/research type of writting, is APA or MLA used? Are they both used at all or only one?

I'm sure many physicans do presentations and have meetings so writing is important there right? Especially in handouts, powerpoint?

There are a lot of forms that physicians fill out too right? What are some of the kinds of forms that you would have to fill out?

Thanks again!

How important is spelling, grammar,etc in the notes, consults, letters? I'm guessing that its not too important as long as the material can be understood by someone else, but how necessary is it? Like in some other jobs, it is important that all writing is written well and professionally like a resume/personal statment/letter to represent yourself or company well, and can get into trouble if not.

For the academic/research type of writting, is APA or MLA used? Are they both used at all or only one?

I'm sure many physicans do presentations and have meetings so writing is important there right? Especially in handouts, powerpoint?

There are a lot of forms that physicians fill out too right? What are some of the kinds of forms that you would have to fill out?

Thanks again!

In my two years of clinical research MLA was refered to only once and that was for one article in a newsletter written for the lay person. Even then it wasn't very useful as our writing could never drop below grade 12.

In research (not academia necessarily because some academicians hardly do any research and sit in their positions) writing is insanely critical. How you write an abstract can sell everything.... very very very minor details will kill you... you'd be shocked at what minor details can do when piled together. That's why it's hard to get into research without a mentor. I consider myself very fortunate to have had a first hand experience.

I'll give you an example....

When you want to submit an abstract so it can be presented and later write a manuscript... the title "The effects of Age on Outcome after Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication" is way way weaker than the title "Outcome of Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication: Does Age Matter?"

How important is spelling, grammar,etc in the notes, consults, letters? I'm guessing that its not too important as long as the material can be understood by someone else, but how necessary is it?

Unless you want people to think (know?) that you're an idiot, spelling and grammar are as important as they would be at any other time. A doctor is only as good as the perceived quality of their work. When the office visit is over, the only thing left is the documentation.