Writing by hand vs typing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobbler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, anyone else finding that they remember stuff better if they write down on a paper rather than typing on a word processor? Sure, you type fast on a word processor but sometimes I find that I can't remember whatever I typed.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, anyone else finding that they remember stuff better if they write down on a paper rather than typing on a word processor? Sure, you type fast on a word processor but sometimes I find that I can't remember whatever I typed.

I do! It's not a terribly efficient or green process, but I tend to focus and remember better when I'm writing things down.

If you are talking about typing notes in class, I learn more when I am able to type my notes, because I can get it all down faster, thus having more time to simply listen.

If you are talking about retyping notes, such as when making a study guide, again I learn more when I am able to type, because I can spend more time actually studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to write down notes by hand, otherwise I forget everything. I think I'll take a voice recorder of some sort to class with me once I start med school because I can't possibly write quickly enough to get it all down.

If you are talking about typing notes in class, I learn more when I am able to type my notes, because I can get it all down faster, thus having more time to simply listen.

If you are talking about retyping notes, such as when making a study guide, again I learn more when I am able to type, because I can spend more time actually studying.

are you serious? i can't remember anything I type down. If I write notes, I find I am able to absorb a lot more for whatever reason. I think it's cause I only write the important stuff down and am able to use my critical thinking skills a bit more instead of mindlessly scribing every word that comes out of the professors mouth. Everyone's different though.

And the whole point of making a study guide is to learn while you fill it out. Not to spit out a document ASAP so you can do further studying.

I think I'll take a voice recorder of some sort to class with me once I start med school because I can't possibly write quickly enough to get it all down.

Do you think we'll need a voice recorder? because I got the impression that most of the lectures are streamed on the internet....

I feel like writing is more conducive to memory retention than typing, especially for our generation that grew up always using computers. The encoding cues you use when you study are way more important than the number of hours, and you simply use more cues when you're writing things by hand than when you're typing.

Typing is so quick for us, it's almost an automatic process. Since writing is inherently slower, it forces our brains to not only focus more on what we're writing, but evaluate what's important enough to write down (since we can't write everything), and also process the information a little bit as we're writing it. If you have a study guide or homework assignment, try writing all of your answers as complete sentences instead of just filling in the blank with one or two word answers. You'll be surprised at how much more you remember.

I've also noticed this is the case for people who are in the habit of skipping class and copying their friends' notes later. Their friends have written their notes in a way that facilitates their own learning and memorization, so the person doing the copying ends up not retaining anything because they're just copying someone else's shorthand and encoding cues, not their own.

If you take some cognitive psych classes, the research done on memory encoding definitely support this idea.

are you serious? i can't remember anything I type down. If I write notes, I find I am able to absorb a lot more for whatever reason. I think it's cause I only write the important stuff down and am able to use my critical thinking skills a bit more instead of mindlessly scribing every word that comes out of the professors mouth. Everyone's different though.

And the whole point of making a study guide is to learn while you fill it out. Not to spit out a document ASAP so you can do further studying.

I do that when I'm writing, but only if there are no pre-printed notes or study guides. I tend to remember a lot less when I'm the one doing the typing, though. Maybe I subconsciously think that typing things up is the easy way out--no cramped joints, no rotating the paper to see what word that elusive scribble resembles.:laugh:

I feel like writing is more conducive to memory retention than typing, especially for our generation that grew up always using computers.

Typing is so quick for us, it's almost an automatic process. Since writing is inherently slower, it forces our brains to not only focus more on what we're writing, but evaluate what's important enough to write down (since we can't write everything), and also process the information a little bit as we're writing it.

I agree with this completely.

I type notes in class, especially if a professor posts the powerpoint slides, then its very simple and I don't have to print. But when I study, I copy down notes by hand. As other people said, its slower and involves more concentration and thought.

I do that when I'm writing, but only if there are no pre-printed notes or study guides. I tend to remember a lot less when I'm the one doing the typing, though. Maybe I subconsciously think that typing things up is the easy way out--no cramped joints, no rotating the paper to see what word that elusive scribble resembles.:laugh:

Haha, I totally have terrible handwriting. I think it'll only get worse as I progress through my medical education.

Haha, I totally have terrible handwriting. I think it'll only get worse as I progress through my medical education.

I tend to notice that my handwriting gets better as I become more relaxed or closer to the end of the semester.:laugh:

I prefer to type because I can get more information down quickly, spell check, actually read what I typed(I have horrid handwriting), and I can convert my notes to MP3s using this program(if anyone knows a better version please PM me). If you want a lawl download this software and have it read rap lyrics.

I tend to notice that my handwriting gets better as I become more relaxed or closer to the end of the semester.:laugh:

I am the exact opposite... in the beginning my handwriting is really neat and perfect, but as the quarter progresses, my handwriting become more and more messy... since I stop caring...

I am the exact opposite... in the beginning my handwriting is really neat and perfect, but as the quarter progresses, my handwriting become more and more messy... since I stop caring...

I think it's because I start to take time to write things down as priorities shift from study mode to vacation mode.:laugh:

Same! I start out the term strong with nice, neat notes. All my notebooks and binders are well taken care of and sharp. Every handout is placed in a folder....As the term wears on, it all turns into a mess. Sloppy handwriting, pages of homework left in textbooks, handouts in different notebooks, old copies of the college newspaper all over the place...

I absorb more while writing, though what I absorb while writing is limited since my handwriting is so horrible. You see, I am a visual learner and writing things down only helps me when I can read the writing well.

Yes - part of my studying process involves reviewing and rewriting all my notes by hand.

Beard starts growing out, toenails aren't clipped, dirty clothes piling up, trash can and BACKUP trash can are both filled to the brim, hair is fro'd out, mom hasn't heard from you in weeks.....

Anybody feeling me?

Same! I start out the term strong with nice, neat notes. All my notebooks and binders are well taken care of and sharp. Every handout is placed in a folder....As the term wears on, it all turns into a mess. Sloppy handwriting, pages of homework left in textbooks, handouts in different notebooks, old copies of the college newspaper all over the place...