Writing my own LOR for PM&R!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicholaus

Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my PM&R attending if he would consider writing me an LOR the other day and he told me to draft one myself and he would read over it and sign it.

So, how do I go about writing my own LOR? I don't want to put words in his mouth, but at the same time, since I'm applying to PM&R programs the letter needs to be very strong! I've never written my own LOR so I'm pretty overwhelmed. Any advice, recommendations, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all, it sounds like your attending is a lazy d-bag, but thats another story.

start out stating how you (your attending) know the applicant. then, say how you performed on you rotation. make mention of people skills, medical knowledge, communication, teamwork, all that nonsense. also, point out at least one specific thing that you and your attending worked on together or that he noticed about you, so it can be more personal and less vanilla. dont be afraid to be overly complementary of yourself. if your attending wanted input in this, he could have written it himself

first of all, it sounds like your attending is a lazy d-bag, but thats another story.

start out stating how you (your attending) know the applicant. then, say how you performed on you rotation. make mention of people skills, medical knowledge, communication, teamwork, all that nonsense. also, point out at least one specific thing that you and your attending worked on together or that he noticed about you, so it can be more personal and less vanilla. dont be afraid to be overly complementary of yourself. if your attending wanted input in this, he could have written it himself

I agree he's being pretty lazy, however, this might be a blessing in disguise. It gives me the opportunity to write a very strong letter and shape it the way I want :)

Thanks for your advice!

So which is it you're applying for and need the strong letter: surgery or PM&R??

Amused and a little baffled...

So which is it you're applying for and need the strong letter: surgery or PM&R??

Amused and a little baffled...

I'm applying to both Surgery and PM&R and ironically BOTH attendings want me to write my own LOR :eek:

I'm applying to both Surgery and PM&R and ironically BOTH attendings want me to write my own LOR :eek:

2 specialties on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I wouldn't tell either that you are applying for both.

2 specialties on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I wouldn't tell either that you are applying for both.

They are definitely not on opposite ends of the spectrum. PM&R is closely related to surgery.

Despite their close relationship, I would also not share that you are applying to both. :)

I definitely do not plan on telling PD's that I'm applying to both! I was always interested in Surgery for the longest time and just recently got interested into PM&R after a rotation I did. If I went the PM&R route, I would definitely go into Pain.

I asked my PM&R attending if he would consider writing me an LOR the other day and he told me to draft one myself and he would read over it and sign it.

So, how do I go about writing my own LOR? I don't want to put words in his mouth, but at the same time, since I'm applying to PM&R programs the letter needs to be very strong! I've never written my own LOR so I'm pretty overwhelmed. Any advice, recommendations, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't do this.. it just smacks of a guy who wouldn't bother to take the time to really endorse you and work on your behalf. Plus your letter's writing style may look funny.

The best letters come from ppl who WANT to do something for yoU!

They are definitely not on opposite ends of the spectrum. PM&R is closely related to surgery.

Despite their close relationship, I would also not share that you are applying to both. :)

Surgery - very long hours, high pressure, on call all the time, hospital/ER call, 5 year residency, very prestigious, incredibly competitve, high salary, living in the hospital, cutting on people, dealing with wounds and drains, infections, high-risk, high malpractice.

PM&R - none of that.

Surgery - very long hours, high pressure, on call all the time, hospital/ER call, 5 year residency, very prestigious, incredibly competitve, high salary, living in the hospital, cutting on people, dealing with wounds and drains, infections, high-risk, high malpractice.

PM&R - none of that.

Yeah but besides that...they're just like us. ;)

Don't do this.. it just smacks of a guy who wouldn't bother to take the time to really endorse you and work on your behalf. Plus your letter's writing style may look funny.

The best letters come from ppl who WANT to do something for yoU!

have to agree with xardas. i have never heard of anyone being asked to write their own letters. is this commonly done and i just wasn't aware? your attending sounds terribly lazy and disinterested in your career. i would find another attending who is more invested in you and your future and really willing to write you a strong letter.

have to agree with xardas. i have never heard of anyone being asked to write their own letters. is this commonly done and i just wasn't aware? your attending sounds terribly lazy and disinterested in your career. i would find another attending who is more invested in you and your future and really willing to write you a strong letter.

One of my attendings (many years ago :rolleyes:) told me to write my own. I tried but never finished it, got lazy and asked someone else.