writing out Ksp expressions

Started by RuSkaya
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RuSkaya

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When writing out the Ksp expression... do you include exponents?

When taking practice tests, several solutions showed that you leave the exponents out, however when I look the concept up online or in books it shows to leave them in.

for example -

BaF2 (s) --> Ba^2+ (aq) + 2F-

Is the Ksp = [Ba^2+] [F-] or Ksp = [Ba^2+] [F-]^2

Thanks! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pretty sure you have to have the exponents.

Just as a side note, make sure when you do the actual reaction, for whatever you are doing, you put 2x in the F- box and then square that to get 4x^2. Just saying because when I first started doing this stuff, i got like a 50% on a high school chem test for forgetting that one rule. 🙁
 
Pretty sure you have to have the exponents.

Just as a side note, make sure when you do the actual reaction, for whatever you are doing, you put 2x in the F- box and then square that to get 4x^2. Just saying because when I first started doing this stuff, i got like a 50% on a high school chem test for forgetting that one rule. 🙁

yehh I made that mistake on a practice test! I squared the "x" and then forgot to square the 2! 🙄