Writing papers in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planet09

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing for vet school and I wanted to know if there is a lot of long paper writing in vet school? I don’t mind studying all night and working on chem, bio or anatomy; but writing long research papers really takes it out me.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, nope! There might be certain electives that may have papers involved, otherwise I left the lab reports and essays back in undergrad!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not unless you seek out such torture ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the school... we did have a few classes that had essay assignments amounting to ~6-10 pages double spaced. However, there were only like 3 total for all of vet school, so it's not like college where you end up writing a bunch of papers every semester.

We had one real research-ish type paper our first year, that actually no longer exists in the curriculum because he professor no longer teaches in that quarter.

I think I'm the only one who misses essays and essay based tests. :confused:

We had like...one shortish paper in Epi our second year. That's it (which is kinda unfortunate for the rare individual like me who actually likes writing papers).

Me! I'm with you on the liking essays ;)

Me! I'm with you on the liking essays ;)
Oh I like writing things for sure. Would rather have done papers than studied for exams, but alas.

We did essays for homework and essay tests for 300 and 400 level classes in undergrad. So much better for me grades wise then. Not good prepping for vet school lol

Saaaaaaaaaaame. If I had essay questions I feel like I would have been an A student. Lol

We had one real research-ish type paper our first year, that actually no longer exists in the curriculum because he professor no longer teaches in that quarter.

4th year we had a presentation where you would present a case you saw in clinics to faculty and underclassmen. Zebra or otherwise fun to discuss. You had to write a manuscript to go with it—mine was like 15 pages. I had my presentation before NAVLE and it was a pretty straightforward case so it helped I feel but I knew a lot about the condition to start and it did become one more thing to do during 4th year, which is never fun.

On our radiology rotation they told us if we broke a major safety rule, like hands in the shot, we had to write a paper on radiation safety. I was lucky enough to not have to do one but I heard it was a 30 page requirement!

• Wow
yep. I mean I can’t confirm that’s true, but why would anyone make that up?!
Radiologists spread the rumor to discourage people from putting their body parts in the primary beam ;)

I'm pretty sure we would have just...failed the rotation. If we did that.

On our radiology rotation they told us if we broke a major safety rule, like hands in the shot, we had to write a paper on radiation safety. I was lucky enough to not have to do one but I heard it was a 30 page requirement!

That’s kind of them. You’d just fail the rotation