Writing Prescriptions for Family

Started by Mlee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mlee

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is writing a prescription for a spouse okay, illegal or just frowned upon? I need antibiotics for a skin infection and I'm in between health coverage, so can my spouse or relative prescribe antibiotics for me legally?
Thanks.
 
Not illegal, just not a good idea. The ethics line gets very fuzzy when you start Rxing for family & friends. My family & friends know my Rx privileges are off-limits under almost any circumstance. I'm probably a bit more strict on this one than some of my colleagues but I just don't want to set a precedence of treating my loved ones. Now, cephalexin for a mild skin infection is quite a bit different than prescribing controlled substances (big no-no and in some states illegal) but I wouldn't do it very often. In this circumstance, it's understandable, but don't make a habit of it.
Lisa PA-C

Mlee said:
Is writing a prescription for a spouse okay, illegal or just frowned upon? I need antibiotics for a skin infection and I'm in between health coverage, so can my spouse or relative prescribe antibiotics for me legally?
Thanks.