Writing/Reading/Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best rated study materials for the Writing/Reading/Verbal sections of the exam? If someone already took the exam and can recommend tricks or study material from experience that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the best rated study materials for the Writing/Reading/Verbal sections of the exam? If someone already took the exam and can recommend tricks or study material from experience that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

To answer your question for the verbal section: Start with the GRE verbal workbook. Learn as many new words as possible. If you want to learn even more new words, study the GRE general practice workbook. Basically learn new words from these books, practice analogies, be able to recognize the different types if possible, practice sentence completions as well. Learning new words will also help you with the sentence completions as well.

You may want to call a random pharmacy school you are applying to and find out which sections of your previous PCAT are to low and what score they want from you in that section. Focus on the scores they want you to improve. I wouldn't waste time studying for for material that you scored well in last time you took the pcat. Chances are, the pharm school will take your best score from each section reguardless of the year you are applying for. You can ask the pharm school if they do that.

To answer your question regarding the essay section: I would say have your professor write down a debatable topic for you to write on. Do not look at the topic until you get home. Once you see the topic, quickly pick a side! Support it or go against it. Give your self exactly 30 minutes to write and no more time whatsoever regardless!!!

Do you buy any chance have the sample essays that Pearson gives you when you purchase their PCAT exams online? The essays samples show you what a 5.0 essay score is as well as a 4.0, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0
If so can I please get the pdf from you?