Writing sample?

emily69

going a bit crazy here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
    The writing sample doesn't count for s*** as far as I know.

I wouldn't mind trading in my "S" for a "O" - in return for a 14 on a science section. That would have been more effective for my application.

I wouldn't worry about it, seriously. Just follow the formula they teach you at MCAT classes. One thing is to try to write neatly.

Good luck!

About the Ads

dookbloo

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 10, 2002
      i got a q without ever practicing. all you need to do is write neatly, use proper grammar, and follow the simple strategy given by princeton review--theres like a paragraph that explains exactly how to do it. also, if you want to really overprepare, you can preselect a topic. the headings are usually open enough that you can mould it into whatever topic you want. even if you do get a really low score, it still doesnt matter. i know a guy who got a 37L.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 29, 2003
      Half way home
      1. Attending Physician
        if it doesn't matter why the hell did I have to waste an hour of my time last april 26th? I think its bullsh%t also because they give it to some grad student in proctorville Iowa, (haha I wonder if anyone will get that) to grade and it's totally subjective or is it objective. To study for it would be a joke.

About the Ads

tugbug

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 17, 2003
          Interviewers have told me that the WS score is not much of a factor UNLESS you really blow it and/or get a low score in VR.

Use an eraseable pen for neatness and at least practice a few to get the hang of it... Dont mess up a good score with a J, just to save a few hours of practice.

docmemi

1K Member
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jul 21, 2003
          Los Angeles, Calif.
            i dont understand you people. you say it doesnt matter unles you do bad on the verbal....well, then it matters!! IF you do POORLY on VR, your WS can help you. YES IT CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DO WELL ON IT...O OR P AND ABOVE. (obviously if you have incredibly high sciences and vr, then ur writing wont matter that much). WHY WOULD IT BE ON THE MCAT IF IT DIDNT MATTER?

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Dec 14, 2003
              Try to do well in the writing part regardless of what you hear. A small number of schools actually do look at your writing score.

However, if you get a respectable Verbal score, your English course grades are good, and your essays are fine, I can't imagine a low writing score keeping you out.

scrabbler

too much sugar
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Feb 3, 2004
                I'm really bad at writing timed essays because it takes me forever to get started and I never feel like I have enough time. I feel like the grading process on the writing sample is pretty random, but it's easy for them to give you a low score if you write very little, so I took like 3 questions and practiced writing the answers under the time constraints so I got used to how much time I had. What's 1 1/2 hours to practice writing something down even though you think the topic is really dumb?

AlternateSome1

Burnt Out
                15+ Year Member
                Aug 2, 2002
                NY
                1. Attending Physician
                  Originally posted by docmemi
                  WHY WOULD IT BE ON THE MCAT IF IT DIDNT MATTER?

Because the adcoms and the test makers don't agree on what is necessary for acceptance into a medical school?

I got a 34L. The only person who asked me about it was my premed advisor, and he told me he didn't think it would matter.

~AS1~

ad_sharp

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Oct 20, 2003
                  You never know
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    The writing section matters....a little. I think that the writing section is nothing more than a safety valve to help prevent people who cannot communicate at all from an easy acceptance to medical school. I didn't study for the writing section at all and got a P. Not great, but it proves that I can at least communicate efficiently enough to be understood. I doubt that anything above the 20th percentile would draw a red flag at any school. However, it may make the difference between you and someone that scored very close to you. Still, time is better spent preparing for BS and PS. Only practice for it if you feel like you really need it. I don't concider myself to be a great writer and I have horrible doctor-like handwriting. There's nothing that I can do to make my scribble neater.

This sounds like a stupid method, and it probably is but here's how I approached the writing section: I wrote a quick outline to organize my thoughts at first. Then, I proceeded to write very short sentences. I used very few compound sentences to prevent punctuation errors and run-on sentences. I took the concervative route by thinking that errors would hurt me more than short sentences. Childish, I know.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Aug 30, 2003
                      Some schools have a minimum writing score needed. For instance, I know that the University of New England Coll. of Osteo. requires an M. So, if you have a 34L you're not getting in.

And there are other schools too. Don't discount this section. Also, you can easily get a high score with just a little bit of effort. I'd be bothered to have a J,K,L or an M. It doesn't take a skilled writer to get a good score.

drlexygoat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Sep 26, 2003
                      under the boardwalk, down by the sea
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        No, the writing sample is not THAT important. I

I only believe the sample matters if you're at either extreme end. For instance, I wrote my arse off and scored a T this past August. I've had 3 interviewers ask about it.

Do I think my T got me in? No. Do I think it may have helped a smidge? Yes.

Bottom line: don't get a L or M..... it's a tiny blemish you don't need to draw attention to.

celticmists18

california dreaming
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Feb 3, 2004
                        studying for Step 1
                        1. Medical Student
                          do not worry about the writing sample, you have enough to deal with on that test. as long as you can form a sentence and answer the question you will score fine. I didn't do so swift (N), but I got an 11 on VR (which ended up being my best section) and counteracted the whole thing by getting a glowing LOR from my literature professor.

Super Rob

7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Aug 24, 2003
                          NYC
                            I took a great deal of care in preparing for the writing sample and was very happy with the work I produced on the actual exam.

The sample graders beat me up (below average score).

Got more interview offers than I could accept and have gotten acceptances and waitlists.

I regret preparing for the WS.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
                            7+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Nov 20, 2002
                            Boston
                              When I was taking the test, I thought of the writing sample as a nice break after the physics. I needed to muster all the energy I had for bio(i'm an engineering major :) ) so I thought of it as a nice little energizer.

Just write an organized essay. What matters is clarity. ANyway, it's nothing to stress out over. THe other sections are WAY WAY WAY more important.

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.