Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new to the forum so direct me to old posts if this has been addressed previously.

I've heard the UCs (I'm a CA resident, SF and LA are my top choices) take the writing sample more seriously than a lot of places. I'm very happy with the rest of my mcat (10v14p12b) but got an N in the writing sample and am just curious if any schools will view it as a serious deterrent.

Anyone know of individual schools' attitudes to the writing sample. I've heard as a whole its no big deal, but there seems to be a broad range of first hand experiences out there in this forum, so anything more specific would be great.

Thanks a lot,
coop

Members don't see this ad.

Not that this will help you much (I didn't apply to any of the UC's) but I (by some miracle) scored a "T" on the writing sample. The only place it made a tiny bit of difference was at Sinai, where my interviewer commented that it was the highest WR sample he'd ever seen (Really? He never saw a "U"? Amazing.) (The rest of my Sinai interview was pretty awful, so I'm not holding my breath on them).
Seriously, I don't think your score will hurt you at all. But if someone posts that the UCs DO look at high WR scores, then maybe I'll apply to them next year!
Good luck.