writing section of mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many people have said that they don't bother studying/worrying about the writing section of the mcat, but if I don't do anything in prep for it, I will do horribly. So, what can I do to prep for the section?

I could just read news magazines and outline them(?)

Members don't see this ad.

the TPR verbal review book has some good tips in writing the essays. All you have to is 3 things:

1. Synthesis
2. Antithesis
3. Thesis

The prompt will give you a statement ask you to do 4 things:
1. Discuss what you u understand from the question (introduction)
2. Give instances when the statement is true (Synthesis)
3. Give instances when the statement is not true or partially true (Antithesis)
4. What are your criteria that make the statement true or untrue?
(thesis and conclusion)

So it is good to have 4 paragraphs that explain each of the above points. Give good examples...dont give examples that could offend the reader. Because the essays will be scored by people from a variety of bakgrounds such as housewives, lawyers, doctors etc.

finally proofread the essay for spelling, grammar and syntax

ALSO WRITE THE ESSAY IN BLACK OR BLUE INK...so take a few parker pens with you...NO PENCIL FOR THE ESSAY!!!

go to aamc website and get a printout of past essay prompts and use them to practice with everyday with the half hour alotted time per essay. there are probably hundereds of prompts and take my word for it the one that you will get on the actual exam will be extremely similar. once you practice regularly i will become so easy on the catual exam. if you cannot find the prompts on aamc then let me know and i iwll email them to you.