Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Writing Section

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by LordOfTheDance, Nov 29, 2005.

1. LordOfTheDance

LordOfTheDance I'm Awesome
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    How do you think they scored the writing? I was surprised as they scored me only a three when I have always had a strong point in writing... :confused:

2. starsweet

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I got a 3 as well and writing has also been a strong point... I think it is highly subjective and I've seen other people with like 15% in Reading and Verbal but a 4 in Writing. So it all depends on who reads your essay. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I made a damn nice case in my essay. I brought up current events and cited past research. Yet, I still got marked off for something. I'm beginning to think some of the graders have little science background and it's all about grammar instead of content.

The max score is a 5 right?

4. starsweet

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yup... how did you do?

I think my grammar was fine but my content was a little shabby. (I was still reeling from the Chem section. ;)) So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I got a 3 with what I consider "proper grammar." ;)

5. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm content that I got a 4, but I'd like to know what the heck they think a 5 is supposed to look like. It's messed up because I had the EXACT same essay in October 2004. Sorry, I'm starting to sound so negative. I got a crappy composite score yesterday... and I just want to break stuff. :oops:

6. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I actually did better on the writing part than I thought. I scored a 4 but I was expecting much lower because my essay was extremely short and didn't have a lot of substance (in my opinion). However I made sure to use lots of different kinds of sentences (starting out with prepositional phrases verbs, etc.) so maybe that's what they were looking for. I scored standardized tests for a couple of months and those are the kinds of things we were told to look for.

Stephie

7. Slangindempillz

Slangindempillz Shinin' like diamonds
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    There is something seriously wrong about the essay. Overall, my essay SUCKED, but I was sure that I did a few things properly. I made sure that I didn't use any words that I might misspell(I'm the worse speller on earth). I made sure that I didn't have any comma splices, used a decent variety of words, and made sure that I did not repeat any of them. My essay kicked ass, and I only got a 3, but the October essay was horrible. The scoring must have been completely based on how my sentences were structured, because I got a 4, and the content of my essay wasn't worth a flip.

8. MattPharmD

7+ Year Member

I got a 5 on the June essay and a 3 on the October one.
    Personally I felt like I got a 3-4 on the June and a 4-5 on the October one.

All depends on who reads it I guess. As long as you get a 3 or above, I don't think it's going to kill you. Most schools have you write another essay as part of the interview anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...