Writing To Faculty

Started by twiggers
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twiggers

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm at the stage where I want to start writing to faculty (I've done my research on school and faculty,, downloaded articles, etc.).
I want to mention reading the person's article but don't want to sound to ass-kissy ...any recommendations?
I also want to subtly ask if they have openings for the upcoming year and if not have them recommend me to someone in department who does.......should I be subtle or just come right out and ask?

I've also been told by advisors that if the person doesn't email me back then I should cross them off my list? Is that good advice to take?

I'm doing this because I don't want to waste my money applying to a program that doesn't have room (well a specific faculty member doesn't have room) because most programs recommend you have 2-3 faculty members you want to work with.

Thanks
 
Introduce yourself.

Be short and direct.

Be clear on what you want.

E-mails get lost. Don't take that personal.

Like Hemmingway said use short, clear words to avoid confusion and to not waste time.

Those are general guidelines. I do not know your situation well enough to comment.
 
I'm at the stage where I want to start writing to faculty (I've done my research on school and faculty,, downloaded articles, etc.).
I want to mention reading the person's article but don't want to sound to ass-kissy ...any recommendations?


Just write the email naturally !!! I'm sure you've written cover letters for jobs before. Briefly describe your credentials and your interest in their research...

I also want to subtly ask if they have openings for the upcoming year and if not have them recommend me to someone in department who does.......should I be subtle or just come right out and ask?

Just ask....


I've also been told by advisors that if the person doesn't email me back then I should cross them off my list? Is that good advice to take?


Not necessarily. But if you don't get a response, email again in a couple weeks. Can also call the department and ask if they're on sabbatical the following year....


I'm doing this because I don't want to waste my money applying to a program that doesn't have room (well a specific faculty member doesn't have room) because most programs recommend you have 2-3 faculty members you want to work with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. The advice of writing to faculty pays off! I have been writing this week to faculty, and just received responses, some indicating that they are not accepting students and referring me to other professors. HOw valuable is that? Now I won't look like an idiot when I apply by putting down a professor who is not accepting.

Well worth the time and effort!
 
Well things are working out....I've emailed only 2 schools so far (but about 15 faculty) and I actually have a professor calling me at home at the beginning of November (at one of my higher choice schools).....that could be a good thing right?


There are several faculty who have not responded....when I write back in a couple weeks should I send the entire letter again or...maybe just ask them about openings for the upcoming year to be brief???