Written Assignment during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misssmith1234

Reaction score
Hi! :)
a) I have an interview for School-Psychology (Psy.D.) program at Rutgers and Adelphi. They both stated that there will be a written assignment that must be completed during the interview. Does anyone know information about what you will need to write about?

b) Any tips for St. John's University- School-Psychology (Psy.D.) program interview?

Thanks in advance, and best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember having one during one of my interviews. A prompt was provided and maybe 30 mins of writing time. I can't remember the topic but I'm guessing it was probably pretty broad/open ended to get a better sense of writing quality and/or basic critical thinking abilities.

Reactions: 1 users
Making me do a writing assignment during the interview?

1612127217577.png

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
St. Johns: used to be a lot of orthodox people there. If that’s still true it might be smart to dress to kinda fit in. Maybe mention you love covering other people’s groups on Friday evenings.

Not much different than doing an oral vignette. Not sure why people get so freaked out about this.
yup. I've used them. interviews are predictively worthless. at least it is a more valid metric. it removes the 100 edits from advisors on documents before I see them. I don't really care except to know where the student is at so I know what I'm getting.

Reactions: 2 users
I remember having one during one of my interviews. A prompt was provided and maybe 30 mins of writing time. I can't remember the topic but I'm guessing it was probably pretty broad/open ended to get a better sense of writing quality and/or basic critical thinking abilities.
Thanks!

I remember when I was doing fellowship interviews, one site (kind of prestigious---but take that with a grain of salt), made us do a violence risk assessment based on a fake patient chart we were given with a timer above us. Felt like Men in Black. Anyway, I mustve done well cuz I got an offer. (protip, if you ever have to do this, just read the psychosocial, it's pretty much all you need, everything else is fluff).

Reactions: 1 users
I remember when I was doing fellowship interviews, one site (kind of prestigious---but take that with a grain of salt), made us do a violence risk assessment based on a fake patient chart we were given with a timer above us. Felt like Men in Black. Anyway, I mustve done well cuz I got an offer. (protip, if you ever have to do this, just read the psychosocial, it's pretty much all you need, everything else is fluff).
Interesting, okay thanks!:)

Years ago I interviewed with a PsyD program and the writing sample was very basic -- something like a "why do you want to come here/ why should we admit you" type essay. The goal was to see writing style-- nothing to do with clinical knowledge and vignettes, as has been suggested thus far. I think knowledge based writing samples are more common when interviewing for internships/postdocs, not ENTRY into a program where they expect they will teach you those skills.

Very much agree with Gepetto. How good someone's overall writing ability is can be the difference in hours and hours of additional time supervising/editing over the course of a semester per student. Use proper grammar, more formal writing style is probably a safer bet; search for typos, make sure your thought process is logical and well-organized with sufficient but not excessive detail. This thread is making me consider that the next time I take multiple students to supervise for practicum this might not be a bad idea. Some people make up for having mediocre writing by having excellent clinical or other qualities, so spending more superivion/instruction time on writing over the other areas is no big deal. But having multiple sub-par to mediocre writers at the same time is a drag.

Years ago I interviewed with a PsyD program and the writing sample was very basic -- something like a "why do you want to come here/ why should we admit you" type essay. The goal was to see writing style-- nothing to do with clinical knowledge and vignettes, as has been suggested thus far. I think knowledge based writing samples are more common when interviewing for internships/postdocs, not ENTRY into a program where they expect they will teach you those skills.
This is good to know!! Thank you very much!