Wrong answer in Biology TopScore Test 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Upon ovulation in female humans, the oocyte is released into the:

A. Ovary
B. Oviduct
C. Body cavity
D. Follicle
E. Endometrium

I answered oviduct but the answer is body cavity. I read somewhere in Campbell's Bio the exact sentence that said that the oocyte is released into the oviduct. Anybody else find this wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Technically the ovary is not really attached to the oviduct, but is really somewhat surrounded by the infundibulum (infundibulum = the end of the oviduct that is right next to the ovary). This is how you get ectopic pregnancies.

Also, if the sperm makes it that far, the final destination of the sperm will be the body cavity (after making it through the oviduct and sneaking past the ovary. Considering that the woman's body has to use the immune system to get rid of that sperm in the body cavity, some women end up immune to their partner's sperm, causing possible infertility with that partner.

Sorry you didn't get your 10 bucks for finding thier flaw.

Some additional info:

Many books do not list the infundibulum as a structure but instead refer to the fimbria.

Fimbriae = "fringe"
Infundibulum = refers to a funnel type process (as the end of the oviduct is somewhat cone shaped)

Neither are terms that are exclusive to the ovaries.

Answer is the body cavity. That is how I learned it in multiple texts and test prep material.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, it's body cavity. I think there are some cilia that help move the egg along into the ovidcut/f.tube after the follicle ruptures

yep, it's body cavity. I think there are some cilia that help move the egg along into the ovidcut/f.tube after the follicle ruptures

Yeah, and prostaglandins from the man help move the sperm so it can meet up with the oocyte.

One of the main things that prostaglandins are known for is causing smooth muscle contractions to induce effects such as sperm translocation, parturition, or abortion (just thought I would throw that out there in the random event that it showed up on someone's test).