wrongful termination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I m a PGY2 resident in IM. My contract is terminated all of a sudden. I was not given 4 months notice also. They say that I amnot able to perform on a supervisor role?? I need advise, should I contact ACGME. I need them to at least continue me in the program for 3 months and finish the contract, so that I have time to look for other programs. is this legal on their part to terminate without 4 month notice. Please advice??

Members don't see this ad.

prets said:
hi,
I m a PGY2 resident in IM. My contract is terminated all of a sudden. I was not given 4 months notice also. They say that I amnot able to perform on a supervisor role?? I need advise, should I contact ACGME. I need them to at least continue me in the program for 3 months and finish the contract, so that I have time to look for other programs. is this legal on their part to terminate without 4 month notice. Please advice??

Either you violated the terms of your contract or they think you did. Surely you saw this coming? Try to meet with your PD/chairman and the GME office, suggest that you bring your lawyer, maybe they will be more receptive.

I agree with the above...This cannot be a surprise. There must be paperwork in your file documenting a discussion on your PGY-2 role. If not, I think you have them, but only a lawyer will know this..Which state or city by the way is this program in??

prets said:
hi,

Definetely contact a lawyer. ASAP

21JumpStreet said:
Definetely contact a lawyer. ASAP
I was given a remediation letter in nov, which was for improvement of performance and I showed improvements in my later evaluations. I have not done anything offensive, which can lead to sudden termination. The hospital policies says that they should give me at least four month notice. Can u suggest a lawyer, who deals with these cases and familiar of ACGME guidelines. One more thing I wanted to know how difficult it is to get in If i try to change my branch,lets say neurology r physical medicine after this stigma of termination.

Go to www.findlaw.com. They have a list of attorneys by specialty and location.