WSU vs ISU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divergent14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am interested primarily in sheep, cows, and wildlife.
What I like about each:

Iowa:
Mixed animal path
Can do a 2 week rotation with wildlife
Corn belt - can get experience with goats/pigs/cows

Washington:
Access to teaching hospital first year
Non tracking but can still get lots of experience in every category
Can get instate tuition after the first year

I do not know a ton about Iowa, so if anyone has any other input for either of these institutions, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

For full disclosure I'm going to answer this precovid because things are constantly changing with COVID rules.
For WSU:
You get a badge access before D1. You are welcome to go into the hospital anytime you have time as a student. You are required to spend a minimum of 8hrs iirc in the VTH your 1st year. Me and my friend group spend quite a bit of time in the VTH 1st year. We got to help with a colic sx, foal neonate team. Lots of time and helping in the Ag barn. Hanging out in exotics and other small animal rotations like neuro-watching a 4th year walk us through a full neuro exam etc. So very readily accessible for students barring COVID. BTW our VTH is connected to our classroom building which is super nice in the winters if you don't like the cold.

Yes. You essentially pick your own adventure for non tracking. Years 1&2 are fairly standard in curriculum. Y3 there's tons of electives to pick your own adventure. Y4 you have 16wks iirc (I signed up like 3 mo ago and have forgotten...) of electives you can fill with more of whatever species you want.

Yes-but only if you gain admission to the Pullman campus. OOS admission to the Logan campus does NOT make you elgible to switch to IS. IIRC the Logan campus does give some tuition assistance to OOS people but I don't remember the amount atm. I was OOS so I switched to IS after the first year. Just make sure you follow the registar's policy-ie registering your vehicle, no longer being an independent on your parents taxes,etc.

I'm a 3rd year and was admitted OOS to Pullman. I am interested in rural mixed med so feel free to pm me or ask on here any additional questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @divergent14! I'm a third year at Iowa State and absolutely love it. If you want to do cattle/small ruminant work Iowa State is the place to be! We have the highest large animal caseload of any US veterinary school and, like WSU, you can go down to the veterinary teaching hospital starting from Day 1. I've actually worked as a large animal/equine ICU student worker since first year which has been a great experience, and there are lots of opportunities to get down in the hospital such as large animal/equine rounds and small animal ICU volunteering. Wildlife-wise we have a really active exotics and wildlife club and a small wildlife care clinic as wall. We also have a partnership with the Des Moines Zoo so you can do rotations there fourth year. Last plug for ISU, there's A LOT of great scholarship opportunities and there is a really good sense of community/family on campus. If you have any other questions let me know!

For full disclosure I'm going to answer this precovid because things are constantly changing with COVID rules.
For WSU:
You get a badge access before D1. You are welcome to go into the hospital anytime you have time as a student. You are required to spend a minimum of 8hrs iirc in the VTH your 1st year. Me and my friend group spend quite a bit of time in the VTH 1st year. We got to help with a colic sx, foal neonate team. Lots of time and helping in the Ag barn. Hanging out in exotics and other small animal rotations like neuro-watching a 4th year walk us through a full neuro exam etc. So very readily accessible for students barring COVID. BTW our VTH is connected to our classroom building which is super nice in the winters if you don't like the cold.

Yes. You essentially pick your own adventure for non tracking. Years 1&2 are fairly standard in curriculum. Y3 there's tons of electives to pick your own adventure. Y4 you have 16wks iirc (I signed up like 3 mo ago and have forgotten...) of electives you can fill with more of whatever species you want.

Yes-but only if you gain admission to the Pullman campus. OOS admission to the Logan campus does NOT make you elgible to switch to IS. IIRC the Logan campus does give some tuition assistance to OOS people but I don't remember the amount atm. I was OOS so I switched to IS after the first year. Just make sure you follow the registar's policy-ie registering your vehicle, no longer being an independent on your parents taxes,etc.

I'm a 3rd year and was admitted OOS to Pullman. I am interested in rural mixed med so feel free to pm me or ask on here any additional questions!
that's amazing! WSU has just always been the dream for me, i applied to ISU this last cycle and not WSU due to not being able to take the GRE. Is it bad i kind of hope i get rejected from ISU so i can apply to WSU??.... :censored:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @divergent14! I'm a third year at Iowa State and absolutely love it. If you want to do cattle/small ruminant work Iowa State is the place to be! We have the highest large animal caseload of any US veterinary school and, like WSU, you can go down to the veterinary teaching hospital starting from Day 1. I've actually worked as a large animal/equine ICU student worker since first year which has been a great experience, and there are lots of opportunities to get down in the hospital such as large animal/equine rounds and small animal ICU volunteering. Wildlife-wise we have a really active exotics and wildlife club and a small wildlife care clinic as wall. We also have a partnership with the Des Moines Zoo so you can do rotations there fourth year. Last plug for ISU, there's A LOT of great scholarship opportunities and there is a really good sense of community/family on campus. If you have any other questions let me know!
Hi!! That's really great to hear! I reckon someone mentioned the wildlife stuff is up in the air as of right now because the clinician retired? Is that true?

that's amazing! WSU has just always been the dream for me, i applied to ISU this last cycle and not WSU due to not being able to take the GRE. Is it bad i kind of hope i get rejected from ISU so i can apply to WSU??.... :censored:
lol I get it, but remember that any school will make you a veterinarian :). I ultimately recommend go where you're accepted and then narrow it down based on price imo. How are are as a veterinarian depends on what work you put in and what opportunities you create as a student. There are tons of resources once you become a student to pursue what you're interested in. Good luck!

Hi!! That's really great to hear! I reckon someone mentioned the wildlife stuff is up in the air as of right now because the clinician retired? Is that true?
Hey @divergent14! Yep, we still have our on-staff zoo vet who works with the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines but our exotics vet retired. They're currently looking for a new one though, and they're still providing opportunities for wildlife-inclined students. Our Zoo/Exotics/Wildlife club is incredibly active, you can take multiple electives focused on exotic species, and our zoo vet has a lot of connections for summer break and fourth year externship sites. Honestly most of your hands-on wildlife experience will likely take place 4th year anyways :) My best friend at ISU wants to be a Zoo/Wildlife veterinarian and used her breaks and summers to get some amazing hands-on experience, takes all of the exotic electives, and has lots of cool fourth year rotations at zoos and rehabilitation centers set up. If you're really inclined toward wildlife/exotic work ISU will help you get the experience/prep you need!