WTH?!?!?! cheque from a US bank!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Munchy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out something shocking... that schools are requiring you to send cheques withdrawing fund from a US bank...

what the...

How did other international student deal with this?

I obviously cannot cross border anytime soon as I live far away so are there any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just found out something shocking... that schools are requiring you to send cheques withdrawing fund from a US bank...

what the... f@#!

How did other international student deal with this?

I obviously cannot cross border anytime soon as I live far away so are there any other options?
relax, money is money! as long as your amount is in USD not CAD, you'll be fine...

Go to your bank... ask for money order for US... give them the amount of money to withdraw and they will print them off for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually.. it doesn't always work. Most school accepted my international money orders drawn in US dollars, but Colombia returned it. I was in the states to take the DAT and had to organize it then. No other school had a problem with it though, and where I could pay online, I did.

is money order in US funds okay? (done by canada post)

schools prob do this because they don't get a consistent exchange rate. your $100 check is 98 today, maybe 101 tomorrow

is money order in US funds okay? (done by canada post)
all my money orders were in US and acceptable by all the schools I applied to but Columbia. I guess you just have to wait until u return to take care of those schools. Call to be safe.. because you end up withdrawing the money and they return the check.

all my money orders were in US and acceptable by all the schools I applied to but Columbia. I guess you just have to wait until u return to take care of those schools. Call to be safe.. because you end up withdrawing the money and they return the check.

When did you get your cheque returned after sending? I didn't know about this so I sent in US money order drawn from a Canadian bank and sent about a month ago, but I haven't gotten any returned money order from Columbia..

And also, Temple requires that you send secondary app fee either as cheque or money order drawn from a US bank.. I dont know what to do. :confused:

no bankofamerica in canada?

I know u guys have TD up there...

it took about a month for them to return it but maybe they cashed it. You should call. I'm guessing banks from Canada and banks in the Caribbean are totally different. I have no idea about temple..

Like peanutb123 says.. use bank of america