WVSOM or Pikeville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

I have like a day or two to decide which school I will be attending this upcoming fall. If it has nothing to do with money, I would hands down pick WVSOM due to mainly the PBL program. If I'm basing my decision only on money, I would pick Pikeville because I would save nearly a $100,000. So if I choose WVSOM, I know I will love the PBL program...yet my education will probably total me around $250,000 by time I graduate. If I choose Pikeville, I will hate going to class (yet still love the school overall), but I will have only around $150,000 in debt by time I graduate. I know no one can make this decision for me....but would $250,000 in debt be too much to pay for going somewhere you know you will enjoy everyday? (Not saying I wouldn't enjoy Pikeville...but there is no PBL there). Plus, would payments as a physician be too much to handle or is that mainly a nonfactor. Any input would be appreciated. I have to send my WVSOM deposit in by the middle/end of this week, but I'm so in limbo right now. :(

Members don't see this ad.

JohnUC33 said:
Okay,

I have like a day or two to decide which school I will be attending this upcoming fall. If it has nothing to do with money, I would hands down pick WVSOM due to mainly the PBL program. If I'm basing my decision only on money, I would pick Pikeville because I would save nearly a $100,000. So if I choose WVSOM, I know I will love the PBL program...yet my education will probably total me around $250,000 by time I graduate. If I choose Pikeville, I will hate going to class (yet still love the school overall), but I will have only around $150,000 in debt by time I graduate. I know no one can make this decision for me....but would $250,000 in debt be too much to pay for going somewhere you know you will enjoy everyday? (Not saying I wouldn't enjoy Pikeville...but there is no PBL there). Plus, would payments as a physician be too much to handle or is that mainly a nonfactor. Any input would be appreciated. I have to send my WVSOM deposit in by the middle/end of this week, but I'm so in limbo right now. :(
It's a tough decision! I should know. I've been deciding between LECOM and WVSOM since October and can't seem to make a decision. I will have to send my deposit in by this Friday via priority to have it there in time on the 15th. Like you, I would attend WVSOM in an instant if money isn't an issue but unfortunately it is. I've been trying to find out the quality of rotation sites for each school. I think there was a post that says something about that's the only way to compare schools... which makes sense so I'm trying to do that by this Friday. Good luck.

I interviewed at both PCSOM and WVSOM. I have chosen the former, and I will tell you why.

I am a Kentucky resident, so I get to pay in-state tutition at Pikeville. I would not have gotten the same privilege at WVSOM. $28,000 a year is much nicer than $43,000 a year, as you can tell.

The atmosphere at PCSOM was much friendlier. The faculty was nicer, the students were nicer, and it didn't feel like it was overly competitive.

The biggest thing is that PCSOM is closer to my family. However, I also heard that only 80% (24 of 30) PBL students at WVSOM passed Step I of the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the responses thus far. I really would like to hear from any current physicians who are paying back loans all-ready. I would especially like to hear from any physicians who are using any sort of loan-repayment incentive. Please hurry with your responses so I can be well-informed before I make my decision.

Go for the best education. You'll be able to pay of the debt later. You will have a better chance getting into a primo residency from WVSOM. Better track record there.

tcom200901 said:
Go for the best education. You'll be able to pay of the debt later. You will have a better chance getting into a primo residency from WVSOM. Better track record there.

How can you make a statement like that without a list of residency positions PSCOM students have obtained, which the school does not relase?

My vote goes to WVSOM but then I'm bias.

Anyways. compared to 150,000 dollars 2,000 isn't that much. Could you put the deposit down now and then if you change your mind just pretend in your head that PSCOM costs 152,000?

I know that isn't a great answer but it buys you time to consider your options.

Megalofyia said:
My vote goes to WVSOM but then I'm bias.

Anyways. compared to 150,000 dollars 2,000 isn't that much. Could you put the deposit down now and then if you change your mind just pretend in your head that PSCOM costs 152,000?

I know that isn't a great answer but it buys you time to consider your options.

Good idea...I'm really leaning towards WVSOM, but I'm trying to get information about loan repayment programs before I commit

matteaton81 said:
... However, I also heard that only 80% (24 of 30) PBL students at WVSOM passed Step I of the boards.

The actual pass rate for the first class to take Step I was 18 passed/ 24 students= 75% pass... not so hot.
There are also other problems with this program...

FYI: The latest PCSOM step one pass rate was 94%.

tcom200901 said:

This is a completely untrue statement. WVSOM has been around a little bit longer, but that does not mean that PCSOM does not have graduates in prestigous residency programs. In fact, we have some former students in several prestigous programs throughout the country.

When I interviewed at WVSOM the last time, I attended one of their PBL classes. I personally did not like the self-directed learning approach.

There is no out of state tuition at PCSOM, everyone pays 28,000 for tuition, but you get a lot of stuff included in that. If you go to WVSOM, you will have to buy books, laptop, scrubs, otoscope, etc...

John, I will tell you that if you have your heart set on not attending classes, then PCSOM is probably not the place for you to attend. I dont mean to come off as rude or anything, I just want you to be happy with your decision. You will be spending at least the next two years at the school you choose. PCSOM professors know who is not attending classes and they will discuss this fact at their grade meetings after each block. Also, keep in mind that PCSOM has a dresscode that they expect everyone to follow and they will call you out if you don't adhear to it. For guys, shirt and ties, with occasionally a sweater in the winter.

I can promise you this, if you decide to attend PCSOM, you wont be sorry. It is a great education and we have a lot of success on boards. I had to choose between WVSOM and PCSOM and I am very pleased with my choice. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Aaron

tcom200901 said:

Statements like these are very enjoyable to read after exams... thank you.

Go with what you think will be best for you; it's up to you what kind of doctor you want to be... money shouldn't be the absolute deciding factor in what school to choose. But that's my opinion. Besides, I am happy in Pikeville. There are many great things about this school. And from what the people I've talked w/ over at WVSOM, they will say the same thing about there school. If you like the PBL program, go PBL. Point is, if i were in your shoes, I'd would try to speak w/ as many people as possible about both program styles outside Studentdoctor.net. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck in your decision!

jorge
PCSOM Year 2008

I am also a student here at PCSOM. Hi Jorge and Aaron. I will say that the education here at PCSOM is quality based on the fact that the curriculum and faculty really challenge you. Block exams happen about every three weeks and are really tough. And the fact that classes are cummulative adds another degree of difficulty. However it does force you to remember old material and i think you really learn a lot. I honestly have to tell you i am not worried about passing boards in the least because it is so tough here that i think if you survive the first two years and prepare properly(including Kaplan review that school also pays for) boards will go smoothly. As far as the money goes you will be able to pay it back so if you hate PCSOM go to WVSOM, but don't think that PCSOM doesn't have competitive residencies or that the curriculum is weak.

dcratamt said:
I am also a student here at PCSOM. Hi Jorge and Aaron. I will say that the education here at PCSOM is quality based on the fact that the curriculum and faculty really challenge you. Block exams happen about every three weeks and are really tough. And the fact that classes are cummulative adds another degree of difficulty. However it does force you to remember old material and i think you really learn a lot. I honestly have to tell you i am not worried about passing boards in the least because it is so tough here that i think if you survive the first two years and prepare properly(including Kaplan review that school also pays for) boards will go smoothly. As far as the money goes you will be able to pay it back so if you hate PCSOM go to WVSOM, but don't think that PCSOM doesn't have competitive residencies or that the curriculum is weak.

Thank you for that information. When I first starting looking at schools a year ago, Pikeville was my top choice for nearly a year, and it continues to be at the top of my list. I know I can get a great education at either school. I just can't explain it,but I sorta fell in "love" with WVSOM when I had my interview. I started researching WVSOM and realized what a great school it is as well. In fact, I know one Pikeville graduate who is on staff at the hospital I work at, and he appears to be very competent. I also personally know two WVSOM graduates, and they appear very competent as well. I know both schools will give me a great education. I know the work load is tough at both schools, but I think I would be able to "enjoy" it more doing PBL at WVSOM. What I mean by enjoy is that I'm more used to learning on my own rather than having a teacher dictate to me (maybe cause I partly homeschooled growing up or something?). Anyways, thank you everyone for the great posts on this topic. Both schools are fantastic in my opinion. :thumbup:

dcratamt said:

I could not have said it better myself! Don't get us wrong, PCSOM has it weaknesses, but every school does. You will get a quality education at PCSOM. I dont regret going to PCSOM. I am very pleased with my decision and encourage everyone that applies and gets accepted to attend.

dcratamt, eadysx and doc_holliday are all in the top of our class. All three are good friends of mine and they study very, very hard. For them to make the comments that they have here means something. We will be ready for the boards come July.

dcratamt (please correct me if I am wrong) is wanting to stay in Pikeville for our new Family Practice + 1 year, which gives you an extra year training in OMT. This program is starting this year and I can promise that the graduates of this residency program will be about the best you can be in OMT training. We have a lot going for us at PCSOM!