Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

WVSOM, where its at.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Canuck99, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This thread concerns the city of Lewisburg and the surrounding area. I have learned quite a bit about the school, so now its time to figure out the city. When I interviewed I was not able to spend much time in the area.

Food selection, restaraunts, fast food, grocery store? I like to eat, in moderation of course, so having choices is important to me.

Bar scene. Any good drink specials, places that serve pitchers, live music, trivia games?

Recreation. Is there a movie theater, and how many screens does it have, matinee prices? Do any of the students have a weekly/monthly poker game? Sports? How often do people drive to Charleston?

So if anyone has the answers, along with any other information, please help me out. Fellow SDNers who are interested in WVSOM, feel free to add to the questions.

And yes I realize that all of these things are secondary to my studying, but I want to know the city that I might be living in for a few years of my life.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nobody?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry about that, I drove home for Thanksgiving!

Movie theater: There are Two. One in downtown lewisburg and one in Fairlea (the better of the two). They play up to two films at once and are usually good at having the best of the recent releases. (I just saw harry potter and the goblet of fire there). Don't expect stadium seating or Dolby DTS, but it gets the job done.

Bars: I'm not a big bar hopper but we will meet at Lucy's in Fairlea alot. It's a nice little sports bar. There's also the Sweet Shoppe downtown and the Fort Savannah. They have live music on Thursday's and weekends on a regular basis. We are on good terms with the owner's of Lucy's and so they run drink specials from time to time for us.

Food we have:
    Applebees (ok)
    Bob Evans (mediocre but cheap)
    Bellacino's (Good!)
    Shoney's (ok)
    Subway (Good!)
    Food and Friends (more upscale, good)
    The Tavern (Good)
    Julian's (excellent food, very expensive though)
    Burger King (bleh)
    Dairy Queen (For the WIN! Good!)
    Wendy's (Good)
    Hardee's (Best breakfast out of a Hardees I've ever been to)
    Pizza Hut (ok)
    Long John Silver's (I don't like the place but my friends do)

Poker: I know a few students who play poker alot (I don't play much myself) but they will be gone in their 3rd year next year. I'm sure you'll be able to find people to play with. Just don't play during class, they take offense to that. :laugh:

Grocery Stores: You have Wal-Mart (King of everything) and Kroger's (good place to buy meat) and an IGA. There is a CVS too if you count that (some people do)

In summary, there was more to Lewisburg than I originally thought. Heck we even have a Lowe's and an EBGames now (I thought I was seeing a mirage!). So it's growing and it isn't as rural as you think it is, though I guess to someone from Long Island it probably appears to be a wasteland hehe. :laugh:

I'm happy here, I think you will be too.

Sorry for the delay in the reply. Maybe some other WVSOMers will offer their opinion. (*Pokes Megaoflyia*)

-Richie

4. Richie Truxillo

Attending Physician
    P.S. Rio Grande is a mexican place that isn't bad. ;D
    Their lunch buffet is like 6 bucks and will satisfy your mexican cravings.

5. happyprairiedog

7+ Year Member

To the food list - let me add

Stardust Cafe - excellent food and a great staff - really good espressos as well.
    Greenbrier Bakery - small menu but great fresh ingredients
    The Bakery - classic bakery atmosphere - but they also have a nice lunch menu
    Birdhouse Cafe - nice comfy coffeeshop (slash artisan gallery) - serves food on Sundays

6. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks guys.

7. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can not stand Rio Grande -- but then I come from a place that actually has really good Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food. I just make my own now when I get a craving.
    Lucy's rocks cause they are awsome to us. Plus it's clean.
    A lot of people like the Fort because it has more of a bar feel to it.
    Besides poker there are other fun things to do like broomball and one of the anatomy teachers teaches a martial arts class three times a week after school.
    There are also football games that go on. I didn't play in any of them so I dont know how the football games are organized.

We dont have a Hardee's where I'm from or it's equivelant but I'd put it against Jack in the Box minus those addictive tacos.

I love Long John Silvers so I'm glad there's one near by.
    There's a Mc Donalds too.

I believe Stardust does the live music scene periodically too.
    There is also this antique store downtown that does wine tasting and live music.

Of course there's the General Lewis Inn - one of my favorite places here.

There's a place somewhere called Granny's -- its a truck stop sort of place from what I've heard and it stays open very very late or all night except for the weekend.

There is also some fast food place that I have no clue what it's name is but it's right past a bridge. It isn't bad. I've only eaten there once but there are quite a few people who really like it.

I hear of people going to Beckly more often than I hear of people going to Charleston.

8. EMTLizzy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or cup holders. No flippin' cup holder when I got my giant soda to watch Harry Potter.

But, at least it doesn't have fleas.

For food- don't forget the two Chinese places. One isn't really better than the other, but it'll do when you need an egg roll.

Granny's in White Sulphur Springs is good. And I'm told that April's Pizza in WSS is better than Bellacino's and Pizza Hut.

9. Richie Truxillo

Attending Physician

I just got back from seeing Harry Potter again, this time in a DTS theater with stadium seating and a huge screen and posh seats with BIG CUP HOLDERS! There's no comparision I tell ya :D Was worth the 7 hour drive home! :laugh: Oh well, back to L-Town tomorrow for more classwork!

10. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just saw it again too.. in a theater with no stadium seating.. no DTS sound... no cup holders.. and no fleas ;)

But only 2 minutes from my apt. :-D

So much for my big 5 days of solid studying.. I have a lot to make up tomorrow.

11. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I assume that there is a Blockbuster or movie rental place of some kind?

As far a living arrangements, do most of the students live in the same apartment complex, or are there a number of different places to live? Are the apartments in the area new/nice/clean? What is the typical monthly price for a nice one bedroom? A small house?

Thanks.

12. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is a Blockbusters next to the grocery store in Fairlea and some other sort of pop n go type place near the walmart.

There are quite a few students in Woodland Akers. It's the apt complex near the school. They are actually more the size of small town houses. They are pretty nice. They are two bedrooms and cost 500/month. Apparently this is going up next year though, but I dont know to what.

There are other apt complexes and some of the houses near the school have been converted into apartments. Some houses to rent are available but I dont know how much they cost or how far away from the school they are.
    Closer to May the school will come out with a more current housing directory and list of people looking for roommates.

13. theresa83

theresa83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Besides all the restaurants and entertainment, I was just wondering how the people are and how diverse, or not, west virginia is. How's the weather?

14. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Beautiful countryside. Lots of white people. It can get cold.

15. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm a city-data junkie, and here's what they say.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lewisburg-West-Virginia.html

16. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.

Attending Physician
    The state also produces great fiddlers and banjo players. ;)

17. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pretty much.. but include it can get VERY cold.

18. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it snowing yet? it is about to snow here in TX, pretty crazy.

19. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Please, here in Utah, they don't measure snow in inches, its feet. Love that powder baby! :horns:

20. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I come from canada, so I know what you mean. But here in TX, if there is mention of snow, the freakin city goes nuts. It is the major story on all news networks. I am talking extreme percautions: salting all roads, canceling school and work, pretty much everything shuts down.

21. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh: no doubt. When it snows in Utah and Canada, people are still out golfing. :laugh: "2 feet, oh I'll just use a yellow ball, no problem" :D

22. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ah good times. That's what happens in the north of Texas; imagine the chaos that occurs in the south.

We had our fist snow sometime in October or November ... pretty early then it melted. Then we had another snow the day before Thanksgiving.. then it melted. We had snow two days ago and it's still here but not much.. like maybe an inch. But it's not as cold as it was Thanksgiving day.

23. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.

Attending Physician
    In the South we are ill-equiped to deal with it. That's why everything gets cancelled. My Canadian friends have always laughed about this but black ice = tempting fate.

24. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah watch the northies deal with entire summers where every day is over 100 degrees and no rain. :smuggrin:

25. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.

Attending Physician
    We didn't get rain but Lord knows we made up for it in humidity.

You know, when you go out the door and you're instantly soaked.