Wvu D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garcia10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i was just wondering what to expect at WVU for my first year next fall? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

well comming off 8 midterms in the last three weeks my best advice is to close your eyes and hope it doesn't hurt too bad.haha... nah just stay ahead of the game and take it all one test at a time. feel free to ask me anything ive got what should be a couple "easier" weeks so i can check studentdoctor.haha oh and i almost forgot the best advise... ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!!! its the last free one you get for a while

hey garcia10, have you looked for any places to live yet? Are you around the morgantown area right now, or do you go to school somewhere else? I'm probably going to start looking for housing soon, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Try living as close to the school as you can but avoid the Sunnyside area (big party area...my family owns some rentals there and they get TRASHED). Ideally, you want to a mile or less away from the health science center...my family lives out by the lake but my high school was near downtown and it took at least 35 minutes in the morning to get to school (which was maybe 5 or 6 miles away) because of the traffic! My high school boyfriend had to get his breaks replaced twice because of the stop and go traffic trying to get to and from high school lol! Needless to say, I will not be living at home for school!

Depending on your budget, I would look at places in Suncrest. You can find some nice homes/apartments there for a reasonable rental price. There are town homes that are pretty new very close to the HSC that are $100K-$120K to buy. If you want to rent, I would look now though because all of my family's rental properties were leased for the 2008-2009 school year before February. You could also rent or buy a trailor. My parents won't let me live in a trailer, apartment, or townhouse though because they are convinced someone would burn it down!

Oh, and most importantly...if you cannot walk to the school make sure you have a 4WD/AWD car handy and try not to live near any big hills (or find someone who will take you to school when it's icy).

I'm going to be home the 14th-16th if you want me to investigate anything for you.

i just got one of those town homes across the street from ruby hospital that nattyj was talking about...i dont even have to drive anywhere...amazing...i actually go to duquesne university in pittsburgh...moved to pittsburgh from morgantown some time ago...

haha..thanks josh...yea i plan on having a great summer...how is the first semester of D1 compared to second?

Are we supposed to be expecting anything in the mail nattyj or electra? I feel like i should be doing somthing ?

My general dentist's son is currently in his third year at WVU. I remember my dentist telling me that in June or July they sent him a packet of required reading before orientation...so maybe that's what we'll get next.

ooo ok...sounds good...i just feel like i should be doing soemthing for this....but thanks for the input...hows your last semester at case?

Yeah, I know how you feel. I keep wondering if I'm missing something important!

My last semester is going just fine and I am trying to study even though I will probably not use my engineering classes again (my focus in Biomedical Engineering is Systems and Control...so unless I decide to program my own software when I open my dental practice, I don't think I need the stuff I'm learning)! I am very excited to graduate and get out of Cleveland though (especially since my school is in a not so great area of town)!

How is Duquesne? Are you getting a degree from there (you're a jr. right)?

hey guys, i remember last year when i was in your spot it seemed like there were long periods before i recieved anything. You will adventually get a packet prolly mid summer that has examples of past sylalbi for your first semester classes and i think thats when you get your "Big" assignment which is a person in the second year that will be your go to person for question and advice. But i will say i didn't read anything before school started and i did fine. As for my personal opinion on the first semester compared to the second..i think the second semester seems "easier", the material is still hard but you definatley more adjusted and more comfortable in the lab. Oh and the best part about second semester is you get your handpieces and start drilling so you kinda feel more like a dentist.haha...

nattj, yea im only a junior....leaving duquesne without a degree. I would get a biology degree if I stayed another year..but since i got in, im peacing out a year early...im gonna fall into the college dropout catgory statistics here at duquesne since im leaving early:laugh::laugh:

nattj, yea im only a junior....leaving duquesne without a degree. I would get a biology degree if I stayed another year..but since i got in, im peacing out a year early...im gonna fall into the college dropout catgory statistics here at duquesne since im leaving early:laugh::laugh:

college dropout! LOL I'm gonna go to Morgantown during my spring break and hopefully scope out a place to live. NattyJ, If you see any good options while you're home post them or pm them to me! I'm most likely looking to rent, rather than buy. I'll be in Morgantown probably around the 19th or 20th of March!

Garcia10- When are you moving to morgantown?

Can't wait to get out of undergrad and start d-school!

electra....yea im gonna be a college dropout...i actually dont know...i have my place bought....ill probably be moving stuff here and there throughout summer....its right across the street from ruby hosptial...literally...haha....but anyways....where are you from? wv? i jsut wanna get the hell outta undergrad and get to summer....does anyone know how big our d-class is and how many people fail out?

hey well i don't know how many will be in your class but probably 50 that seems to be the average, we actually had 51 and lost 1 girl after first semester. The class above us didn't have anyone repeat so i don't know if they lost anyone at all. I know a person in 4th year said they lost 2 but i think most of the time they just get pushed back a year

yea it seems like wvu tries to get all of thier kids through....unlike other schools that have a large class size where they can afford to lose a few

There's a review board that some faculty sit on to hear students' cases when they screw up. My dad has had to sit on them before and I think he said that they had been pushed back already at that point. I've only heard about this happening twice though.

I think I'm going to be in CT w/ my boyfriend for the summer, and I won't be coming back to WV until the last day possible (the day before orientation?)...but I just have to move some stuff across town, but if you're moving, I'd move in at least a week in advance so you can get settled.

Electra, I'll keep a look out for you when I go home. I might actually be home longer than anticipated because Cleveland is getting its worse snowstorm in 30 years so I may not make it to the Bahamas! :eek:

yea im planning on moving stuff down there as soon as i finish up school this year...get everything like my bed and dressers/couches in...then do the nitty gritty stuff later...u guys are lucky to be on spring break...i still have another week of class...sucks...i might be cutting last few days of class to go to the big east tourney in NYC..LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS:thumbup::thumbup:...would anyone ever wanna meet up sumtime? jsut to get to know each other, instead of talking to each other on a forum? I know it sounds kinda lame...but just a thought:cool:

meeting up is definitely a good idea! It would be awesome to get to know you guys before school actually started. I hardly know anyone in Morgantown so i'm kind of nervous about starting!

Yeah definitely...I'm not home much but will be next Thurs.-Sun. and probably part of May (like, the second or third weeks)...

yea i would def want to...anytime is good for me.....i got nothing going on