WWYD Gap Year?

Started by PeteGII
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PeteGII

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm a statistics major and I've had the opportunity to do either or for my gap year:


1. Work as a statistician in a public health department

PROS: Get paid meh but more than what I've ever made tutoring statistics at my college, still live with my parents, so income is net- not responsible for rent, food, etc., get to experience real world jobs in a quasi-healthcare platform, very interested in what public health is like in the real world

CONS: I feel like my life would be truncated at a bachelor's degree for the duration of my job, which makes me feel uneasy, would feel lack of contribution, a little worried about stigma from college peers (I know I should be more mature, but eh)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Go to school and pursue a 1 year MS in statistics,very well known program.

PROS: Good program, relatively high backup option pay, can still live at home, very interesting content/curriculum, flexible electives

CONS: No more scholarships so will have to pay out of pocket, it'll makes me look like I'm engrossed in academia my whole life aka Kindergarten ---> Medical school. Possible con: worried about burning out, I've gone full speed and hit like 18+ hours/semester with research, volunteering, etc. Don't know what this would do to me before entering medical school.
 
I'd go with option 1. That sounds incredibly awesome. If you're a stats major, you've likely seen most of the stats methods you'll use in research during med school and beyond. I don't think the masters is worth the money given your career goals.