WWYD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWPharm88

Reaction score
Graduated 5 years ago, did some time at walgreens, hopefully never have to go back there...

Now i work for a grocery chain in SW and like many other grocery chains recently my staff rph hours were cut from 40 to 32 which obviously comes with a paycut. Just have one more year of loans left and they will be paid off and i wont have to make any adjustments to them with this paycut. Since the announcement there has been a lot of shifting in positions with people leaving, etc.

A few manager positions have opened up and I am tempted to apply because I fear for job security and think it may be better to have manager experience for applying for future jobs if needed. One of them is at a slower very organized store with a good staff rph and tech that I have worked with before i was staff rph at my current store. The manager is leaving because of the new schedule for PIC

Part of me is perfectly content being 32 hours staff rph and then part of me is thinking obviously if they cut more hours eventually mine will be the hours being cut.

However the store I am at now is one of the busiest stores in the entire area so that also gives me some security to stay in a busier store as opposed to manage an average or slightly below average volume store. Another issue is that the PIC schedule during the heavy week works saturday-following friday with just one week day off. With planning to start a family in another year or so this seems absolutely horrible to me to only have one full day off within a 7 day span.

Members don't see this ad.

Being a PIC is a position to prepare for the next position. It is not a good place to stay. If you’re in it for the long haul, stay where you are. If you plan to move up the ladder or onto bigger and better things, you might consider being PIC.

Reactions: 1 users
Graduated 5 years ago, did some time at walgreens, hopefully never have to go back there...

Now i work for a grocery chain in SW and like many other grocery chains recently my staff rph hours were cut from 40 to 32 which obviously comes with a paycut. Just have one more year of loans left and they will be paid off and i wont have to make any adjustments to them with this paycut. Since the announcement there has been a lot of shifting in positions with people leaving, etc.

A few manager positions have opened up and I am tempted to apply because I fear for job security and think it may be better to have manager experience for applying for future jobs if needed. One of them is at a slower very organized store with a good staff rph and tech that I have worked with before i was staff rph at my current store. The manager is leaving because of the new schedule for PIC

Part of me is perfectly content being 32 hours staff rph and then part of me is thinking obviously if they cut more hours eventually mine will be the hours being cut.

However the store I am at now is one of the busiest stores in the entire area so that also gives me some security to stay in a busier store as opposed to manage an average or slightly below average volume store. Another issue is that the PIC schedule during the heavy week works saturday-following friday with just one week day off. With planning to start a family in another year or so this seems absolutely horrible to me to only have one full day off within a 7 day span.

First off, congrats of almost paying off your loans! You can soon live like a free man or woman.

If money isn't an issue then I would just stay where you are. I'm pretty sure you're aware but I don't think being a PIC is all that great of an opportunity unless you want to rise through the ranks. Being busy is a good thing I think especially if you only have to work 32 hours haha and having those time off (weekends too) with family is much more valuable (especially when you get to travel!) than a few bucks with much more stress i assume. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input. I will more than likely end up staying where I am for now i think

Stay where you are if the store is busy...your hours should be fine. I know a few people who grabbed PIC at walgreens to have their stores closed and whatnot and now they can't go back to their old stores..especially with a grocery chain...there aren't that many stores to go around.

That being said, being the person that I am...I would totally go for the PIC position. If you have no loans and no other family obligation...go and test the waters...take on the risk and also the rewards. I, personally, wouldn't stay but this isn't sound advice so I have to tell you this at the end.

I should find out tomorrow

The staff rph who I am friendly with at this store told me it seems like it’s between me and another rph who is moving back from a few hours away. He moved like 16 months ago stayed w the company but is trying to relocate back now

I think I’ll be fine either way. The only reason I applied to be PIC here is because I know the store well and the staff rph and tech are great and it’s middle of the road grocery chain busy so i know there’s time to get all the manager duties done during the week no problem. Good store manager too

And yah I’m not gonna lie getting the 20% paycut back will be nice because I know I won’t get it back by picking up extra shifts. Maybe 10%
Don’t necessarily need the money but have retirement and vacation goals I’m trying to not compromise on

First thing off: Being a manager or PIC, your financial reward will not be proportional to the additional responsibilities. You will be exposed to headaches you have never experienced before, and you will feel challenged for a length of time before you become comfortable .

However, you have answered your own question in a way. It is about options, it is about marketability and it is about job protection.

Status quo is good: low volume, safe store, friendly customers and capable coworkers. However, the only thing you can count on that is the constant changes. Just like taking hour cut, your best tech could quit tomorrow and disrupt your world.

Why count on something you have no control? Why not add more experience under your belt? A year ago, my 400+ beds hospital hired a retail pharmacy manager who never set foot in hospital as inpatient supervisor. His store too, experienced hour reduction for his staff although not himself. Writing is the on wall, you have limited time to react. I would do everything in my power to fight for the opportunity.We were 15 miles away from major metropolitan too. Because of the attitude, the drive and the willingness.

So many time point in my life I could just sit back and relax, I always choose to leave at the peak of comfort seeing the writing on the wall.
I worked at Target in 2010s where I could just read a book a day. When I joined, I got 60 tech hours per week for 100 scripts average a day. I left two years later tech hours were down to 40. I talked to them 3 years later, there was no tech coverage. Now part of CVS. I then work for hospital where I had easy time too. I asked our director what I can do more, eventually I become hospital manager elsewhere. On the other hand, that hospital went though two mergers and hours reduction.

Everyday we see discussion in our pharmacy forum on how to get jobs, and how to be more marketable. Here it is, folks. Be a commodity or write your own ticket. You have the luxury at the moment to pace your success. Don't wait to be reactive. You don't know the corporate back room talks, and once decision is made, you will be scrambling and competing with everyone else.

Writing is on the wall, put yourself ahead of the curve!!!

Good Luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for your input!

I agree, yes i could stay at my store and be comfortable and just slide thru but at the same time, well is my company going to be around in 5-10 years? Who knows. I'm 27, no kids, not much else going on in life at the moment, and know I am capable of handling this role so I feel like i need to just go for it (if i get it).

I have no idea what i am going to do with all my free time only working 32 hours...maybe look for other jobs lol

If this particular job doesnt work out I know there will be other openings I will be able to be considered for in next 6 months or so. I'm just afraid of being trapped in my current role because they dont want me to leave the store. If thats the case i will find another job

Everyday we see discussion in our pharmacy forum on how to get jobs, and how to be more marketable. Here it is, folks. Be a commodity or write your own ticket. You have the luxury at the moment to pace your success. Don't wait to be reactive. You don't know the corporate back room talks, and once decision is made, you will be scrambling and competing with everyone else.

Writing is on the wall, put yourself ahead of the curve!!!

Good Luck.

this. Though I think you have to be mentally acute enough to look beyond the day-to-day and think about the big picture. Also somehow you must have enough experience and connections to be able to transition from one role to another. But wouldn't there be a limit of how far up you can go? I imagine it is easier to jump ship when you climb to higher management but then I would think there are fewer openings for those roles

Last edited:
this. Though I think you have to be mentally acute enough to look beyond the day-to-day and think about the big picture. Also somehow you must have enough experience and connections to be able to transition from one role to another. But wouldn't there be a limit of how far up you can go? I imagine it is easier to jump ship when you climb to higher management but then I would think there are fewer openings for those roles

You are absolutely right. As you move up, position may be fewer, but with desire and sacrifices you can go far outside of retail(director, AVP, VP, President, CEO). Big picture, experiences, connections all matters, but at the end of the day it is about preparation and right opportunities.

However, it is not just about to move up, it is a process to prepare and better ourselves, and mostly get ready when opportunity do knock on our doors. In the past, it was about promotions, but now, it is about finding other jobs when yours is in danger.

There were time in the pharmacy that all we need is our licenses. You know this as well as I do, we do not live in that time and don't have the luxury to think that way anymore. Students are now fighting for residency, participate extra curriculum activities, try to volunteer in hospitals. So, as pharmacist, does our professional journey end once we land our first job? Do we sit back and satisfied with status quo or should we challenge ourselves and seek the edge that help us stand out. Should we brace for the impact as the worst has not come to our profession?

The preparation is not just about moving up, or seek opportunities. Now, it is about job securities, hours protection, ability to pivot and having options. With US labor projection back in 2003, how many of us foresee that Wal-Mart offer new hires just 48-56 hours to start?

There will be people who sail through lives who do not have to worry. There will also be people who regret they did not better prepare themselves better. I am not advocating to worry needlessly or be stressed out. Hey, I balance my work and life too. It is about choices, information, and reap what you sow. I refuse to live in worries, so I have challenged my self and sought the edge I needed to stay ahead of the curve. With few years of unique and hard work, I now have an unicorn job I enjoy with great security.

Like you suggested, moving up may not be the only way to go. I was average student in pharmacy school, but I had a unique niche that helped me success. I urge you to find a niche, a specialization that others will not be able to imitate easily.

With further Medicare reform, reimbursement cuts, Amazon, vertical merger and acquisition as the headwinds, how long do we think we have? Oh, don't forget that wage stagnation and wave of new graduates!

Reactions: 2 users
You are absolutely right. As you move up, position may be fewer, but with desire and sacrifices you can go far outside of retail(director, AVP, VP, President, CEO). Big picture, experiences, connections all matters, but at the end of the day it is about preparation and right opportunities.

However, it is not just about to move up, it is a process to prepare and better ourselves, and mostly get ready when opportunity do knock on our doors. In the past, it was about promotions, but now, it is about finding other jobs when yours is in danger.

There were time in the pharmacy that all we need is our licenses. You know this as well as I do, we do not live in that time and don't have the luxury to think that way anymore. Students are now fighting for residency, participate extra curriculum activities, try to volunteer in hospitals. So, as pharmacist, does our professional journey end once we land our first job? Do we sit back and satisfied with status quo or should we challenge ourselves and seek the edge that help us stand out. Should we brace for the impact as the worst has not come to our profession?

The preparation is not just about moving up, or seek opportunities. Now, it is about job securities, hours protection, ability to pivot and having options. With US labor projection back in 2003, how many of us foresee that Wal-Mart offer new hires just 48-56 hours to start?

There will be people who sail through lives who do not have to worry. There will also be people who regret they did not better prepare themselves better. I am not advocating to worry needlessly or be stressed out. Hey, I balance my work and life too. It is about choices, information, and reap what you sow. I refuse to live in worries, so I have challenged my self and sought the edge I needed to stay ahead of the curve. With few years of unique and hard work, I now have an unicorn job I enjoy with great security.

Like you suggested, moving up may not be the only way to go. I was average student in pharmacy school, but I had a unique niche that helped me success. I urge you to find a niche, a specialization that others will not be able to imitate easily.

With further Medicare reform, reimbursement cuts, Amazon, vertical merger and acquisition as the headwinds, how long do we think we have? Oh, don't forget that wage stagnation and wave of new graduates!

Thanks. These are great advices. Would you be able to elaborate on how you go about obtaining the necessary information to decide on your next move? Besides your willingness to work hard and to get out of your comfort zone, it seems like you also know where things are heading and make the right move at the right time. It is now survival 101 but it seems like few people know where the opportunities are and what to do to prepare for it.

Well i didnt get the job, they gave it to the other pharmacist who was moving back to town, which i had a feeling before I even applied.

I feel safe where I am because its the busiest store around and dont see it going anywhere anytime soon

I will def be on the lookout for other opportunities out there though

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. These are great advices. Would you be able to elaborate on how you go about obtaining the necessary information to decide on your next move? Besides your willingness to work hard and to get out of your comfort zone, it seems like you also know where things are heading and make the right move at the right time. It is now survival 101 but it seems like few people know where the opportunities are and what to do to prepare for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Most of us are simply keep our heads above water and work the daily grind. However, once in a while, it pays to slow it down, look around and regroup. There are many active members in the forum who have provided great advices in the past.

There are a lot of what you can you to further your professional development, but the best approach is to align with your interest and passion. I have operations, and clinical background, but my specialty and niche is pharmacy business: finance, contracting, 340B, compliance, automation, billing, coding, procurement, revenue cycle, budgeting. You can message me if you are interested in career development in these fields.

Thanks

Well i didnt get the job, they gave it to the other pharmacist who was moving back to town, which i had a feeling before I even applied.

I feel safe where I am because its the busiest store around and dont see it going anywhere anytime soon

I will def be on the lookout for other opportunities out there though

You are on the right path, now that your DM knows your interests, passion, and ambition.

If I am in your shoes, I would use this opportunity to double down. Approach your DM, ask about what else you can do, and engage active and routine conversation with him on what you can do for him. You will be move to the front of the pack really soon. Management love people who are engaged and share their goals and visions.

I know, few people may call this brown nosing, but I would speculate even Steve Jobs, Bill Gates did some of that when they try to secure capital and supports early in their careers.

Remember, success comes with costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Update:

My DM texted me about a position 2 weeks ago that opened up but it was over an hour commute in the worst traffic in the city so politely said no thank you i will not be applying

Another PIC spot just popped up at a great store super close to my house so i may give it a go. I enjoy my free time but I have soo much with this 32 hour schedule, after doing it for 2 months I rather be making more money right now. We dont ~need it~ but i feel like I need to do something else with my free time and money would def be useful for other things

Finally took a PIC position at a mid level store, also got a new staff pharmacist who is amazing. Loans are almost paid off and then gonna start hoarding money for early retirement!

Feeling good about the decision. I felt like i was finally ready for a manager position and worked with my current manager over last few months to learn more of the ins and outs of the paper work, inventory etc. Also was tired of working at the busiest store with not enough help, for **** pay and a not so great schedule

Reactions: 1 users

I took a manager spot in CO and moved from FL because I knew the field was dying and by law a pharmacy MUST have a PIC at all times. I knew i would never again see 70/hr pay rates, or the PTO they give me, or the bonuses....I cleared 155K last few years and stashed it all away. Why do you think you see so many pic spots opening up? why do you think nobody wants to do the job? Because it's VERY stressful and overwhelming to manage a corporate, retail pharmacy, let alone when the company cuts everything and you dont have the "tools" to do your job. I had never been a PIC before and i got lucky. look, I have been in this aweful ghetto WM pharmacy for 2 years now, and it has been terrible.Constant turnover, company restructuring (downsizing)..on and on. That said, I have had 80 hours guaranteed, and a stiff paycheck constantly, with 5 weeks PTO a year right off the bat, and a 15 to 20K bonus each year. When it runs out, i will step down. So my answer to you?

TAKE THE PIC SPOT if you can. deal with the pressure and stress, make the money and RUN!! I promise they will cut further, know matter how "busy" you think you are, this is not over yet. However, make sure you are getting the perks of a manager! if the job does not pay 65 or more with 80 hours guaranteed,and a nice bonus opportunity, dont touch it. it means they have "shifted" and you will be getting "New Grad" pay/benefits. Then again your position may be extinct soon and this could be your "life line" so to speak. So have some guts, reach out and grab it. good luck,.

Finally took a PIC position at a mid level store, also got a new staff pharmacist who is amazing. Loans are almost paid off and then gonna start hoarding money for early retirement!

Feeling good about the decision. I felt like i was finally ready for a manager position and worked with my current manager over last few months to learn more of the ins and outs of the paper work, inventory etc. Also was tired of working at the busiest store with not enough help, for **** pay and a not so great schedule

Oh dang, i didnt even see this post! Glad you took it, told ya so! lol ....good for you! grab that cash and run bro!

Make hay while the sun shines. Pharmacists will have all the free time they want 10 years from now.

Reactions: 2 users