Wwyd?

Started by Bennyden
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bennyden

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you rather go to an undergraduate school with:

a. that has a dental school
+ 15,000 students <larger lecture classes>

or

b. that is ranked #8 college in the east coast.
+ 5,000 students <smaller lecture classes>
 
Last edited:
I would go to the larger school with the dental school. Not only can you make connections that open doors, but I think you'll generally enjoy your undergrad education more.

I had a similar choice to make, I am glad I went to the large public school.
 
I would choose the smaller school. It will be easier to be more involved and to do better in your classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to a small school (under 5000 students) but I am only 20 minutes away from a large school that has a dental school that I am interested to attend. I have loved the experience at the small school even and I have been able to network very well with people in the community as well as the dental school that I want to attend. The problems with going to a small school is that for every class they only have a couple of sections so the professor choices are limited, and for the upper level classes there is only a handful of choices while at the large school there are a lot of choices.

With regards to academics, I study with my friends who go to the big school, and I have noticed that I consistently do better even though we study together because my professors are always available and when you're in a class of 20-30 students you have to attend class and participate while if its a class of 200-300 then nobody will care if you show up/participate. It also has allowed me to become friends with my professors instead of simply a person that lectures to you. That being said, there are a lot of pros to going to a big school (more opportunities for research for example) so you have to weigh everything. It's a tough decision so good luck!
 
the bigger the school, the less likely you'll see the girl you banged and said you'd call..
 
I'd go to a small school, especially if it is nearby a dental school. When you get your LORs you'll be glad you went to the smaller school.
 

Similar threads