x ray cert

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you study for the x ray cert.

Members don't see this ad.

For background, I took the x-ray certification in 2014 as an unlicensed dental assistant in California.

I recall the written component of the x-ray cert test being extremely easy and possibly open-note(?). It's questions like "T/F: all patients need a lead apron" hurrrr

For the actual radiograph component, I vividly remember that the hardest parts were operating the film developer and finding four people to take off school/work for an FMX downtown at noon. It also took a moderate amount of brainpower to orient and mount the films correctly for presentation. The radiograph section was point-based and individual penalties would lower your cumulative score (cone-cut, can't see interproximal regions on bitewings, root elongation, etc.). The score for passing was fairly generous, however, and I don't know anybody who has ever failed the test using x-ray holders. All of the issues with film development can be avoided if you acquire your FMX at a digital office (my licensing center still used film).

For background, I took the x-ray certification in 2014 as an unlicensed dental assistant in California.

I recall the written component of the x-ray cert test being extremely easy and possibly open-note(?). It's questions like "T/F: all patients need a lead apron" hurrrr

For the actual radiograph component, I vividly remember that the hardest parts were operating the film developer and finding four people to take off school/work for an FMX downtown at noon. It also took a moderate amount of brainpower to orient and mount the films correctly for presentation. The radiograph section was point-based and individual penalties would lower your cumulative score (cone-cut, can't see interproximal regions on bitewings, root elongation, etc.). The score for passing was fairly generous, however, and I don't know anybody who has ever failed the test using x-ray holders. All of the issues with film development can be avoided if you acquire your FMX at a digital office (my licensing center still used film).

That actually sounds really neat. Do they make you do this in dental school too?