X-ray certifies, cpr, impressions before d school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anothercalidds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do before dental school that will make things easier when I start? Things like getting X-ray certified? Or knowing how to take impressions? Or cpr certification. Idk what y’all think would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

CPR Certification is usually a must for dental school (I know it’s required for ours). Don’t worry about x-ray certified, it won’t really matter because you’ll have to go through a radiology course anyways. If you have time to learn some general in office assisting things like impressions go ahead, but I wouldn’t spend money or go out of your way, I felt like we had plenty of time to work on that stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m visiting a laboratory to learn how to do a wax up and set teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on your tan? No need for prior preparation... one step at a time. BTW a lot of people GRADUATE without knowing how to take good impressions.

...not that that’s commendable.

Ds will have to correct a lot of “bad” habits picked up elsewhere.

Yeah, like the above are saying, it's not really to necessary to prepare for the dental skills themselves. I became a dental assistant in high school to see if I really wanted to be a dentist by getting exposure to the field. I did get my X-ray cert, but it doesn't really give you much of a head start. If anything, it just had me be familiar with instrument names and things slightly faster, but everyone catches up pretty quickly.