x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbon9952

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm signed up to take it, so I guess what I say wouldn't be as accurate as most people but from what I understand, having those extra classes done just makes the learning process a little quicker/easier since you've seen the material before. For example, just because you haven't taken human physio in college yet doesn't mean you can't learn the few main ideas you need to for preparation on the DAT exam. So yes, they do help out, but are they necessary? Absolutely not. The most important process is how you prepare for the test and the effort you put in.

For me, I've taken a lot of upper-division biology classes that are necessary for my major (biology) and going through the list of things I need to learn for the DAT, I'm obviously glad and more at ease since I've seen so many of these topics before. However, there are certain classes like Plant Biology that I would never take as an elective biology course, so I have to learn the basics.

You have basic biology and general chemistry down and some organic chemistry, I would personally say go for it if you're certain as a sophomore that this is your path!

It's possible to take the DAT without taking upper division courses since you can study for it using study materials for the DAT. However, I wouldn't recommend taking it at the end of your sophomore year. DAT scores are only valid for 3 years. Some schools may not even consider scores that are over 2 years even though it is suppose to be valid for 3 years. If you take your DAT at the end of your sophomore year, then your scores will be valid when you're applying for dental schools during the end of your junior year, but if you don't get in on your first try, then you're scores will be almost 2 years when you apply again. I'd say that's cutting it pretty close. I'm not doubting your ability to get accepted into dental school the first time. Seeing as how you're planning out for your future way ahead of time, you seem like a dedicated student, but we never know what's going to happen in the future. If I were you, I'd take the test at the end of my Junior year so I can have some more breathing space. That's just me though. Decision's up to you and good luck~! :clap:

I took the DAT with only biochem and ecology upper div. Upper div science helps but I wouldn't push back the test to take them (some of us study from AP cliffs... So go figure). Afterall, bio isn't everything on the DAT. There won't be complicated biochem on the real DAT. Also, I'm sure if you're dedicated, you can self teach all the Chem you need to know with chads! If you plan ahead I'm sure you can tackle it!

I took the DAT the summer after my sophomore year and it wasn't an issue at all. People hype up the bio section too much. I'm a chemistry major and only had general bio and genetics. Hadn't taken any biochem at this point either. Ended up with a 25 on the bio section. Chemistry can be self taught with Chad's like the people above have stated. Waiting until after your junior year can limit your study time to try to get your scores in or keep you from having time to retake before interviews if needed. If you feel like you can be ready then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user