X

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

friendly_premed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're a quality residency candidate, it should not be a problem. People match in faraway places on a regular basis.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok thank you! Also- is the residency process similar to medical school where sometimes schools may not interview candidates that are “above” their stats or don’t seem connected to the area ?. Not that this happened to me but I wonder if sometime from like Yale or something (completely making this up) with no ties to Florida could match at a program there that may be a less competitive program in general

Just as with medical school applications, you'd make it a point to mention in your essays that you want to get back to Florida and explain why. Of course, it will be easier if you're applying to a specialty with many residency programs in the area, or if you're competitive for the program and specialty. You can also do away rotations or sub-I's in Florida which gives you/them exposure and helps make your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is your spouses family there? Then you do have a tie. I was interviewed at programs all over the country without ties.

Would it be worth it to do an away rotation in the geographic area that you're interested in matching in if you go to school far away? What if you're interested in a less competitive specialty (e.g., FM) that doesn't typically require away rotations for matching?

yea spouse's family is there. i am just worried there may not be many residency programs in florida
It all depends on what you are interested in but FL has tons of medical schools, most with extensive residency spots. So unless you are doing something extremely specialized you should be fine.

Would it be worth it to do an away rotation in the geographic area that you're interested in matching in if you go to school far away? What if you're interested in a less competitive specialty (e.g., FM) that doesn't typically require away rotations for matching?

It all depends. If you have no ties to the area then it could be worth it. Also, if you want a specific program then it is a benefit for them to get to know you (unless your personality sucks).

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on what you are interested in but FL has tons of medical schools, most with extensive residency spots. So unless you are doing something extremely specialized you should be fine.
what about psychiatry or ortho

what about psychiatry or ortho

There’s no banking on anyone for getting a geographic location for ortho. It’s just that competitive. But FL has a fair few in both specialties.

There’s no banking on anyone for getting a geographic location for ortho. It’s just that competitive. But FL has a fair few in both specialties.
ok makes sense. Do you think the FL residencies have a preference for people who went to med school in FL? As opposed to someone from Yale

ok makes sense. Do you think the FL residencies have a preference for people who went to med school in FL? As opposed to someone from Yale

Home institutions will always favor their own students. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get love. Look at 100 different residency rosters and you will see medical schools from all over the place.

Members don't see this ad :)
My next advice lol. Go to freida and make an account. Use it.
And? I did. Florida has a ton of residency spots. Sure, by total state population, not as much as other states. But, better chance at matching in Florida or Vermont, Maine, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Kansas? Florida.

And? I did. Florida has a ton of residency spots. Sure, by total state population, not as much as other states. But, better chance at matching in Florida or Vermont, Maine, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Kansas? Florida.

Reread my message. I was agreeing with you to the op.

Your message appeared condescending

Lol not in the slightest...
I’ve been giving them honest advice this whole thread. Why would I then go and be condescending towards them? You already seemed to know what freida was so there would be no benefit in me telling you to use it. So I thought it would be obvious that I was quoting you in support of your statement. Guess not.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol not in the slightest...
I’ve been giving them honest advice this whole thread. Why would I then go and be condescending towards them? You already seemed to know what freida was so there would be no benefit in me telling you to use it. So I thought it would be obvious that I was quoting you in support of your statement. Guess not.

By quoting me like that it's as if you're responding to me!

how can i access frieda? do i need to be applying to residencies?
You can google it and then make an account. You will not need it to apply to residencies. That is through ERAS. Freida is the best resource to discover what programs are out there. It also includes board score averages/mins, what the make up of their classes are (USMD,DO,IMG), and contact Info for the programs.

yea totally fair that im not even in school. it is just very important for me to end up in florida and wanted to gauge how easy it could be from the school's ive gotten into
I deleted my comment because i came down a bit hard on ya for no reason. Stressful week my bad. But as a doctor, you will (most likely) be able to live wherever you want in the country. It won't matter where you went to med school. Sure residency in a certain locale helps for networking but even that isn't necessary either. There are plenty of people who move all over the country for their stuff through this process, then settle back down wherever they came from. So don't worry too much, especially right now.

There's enough stress involved in this entire process to be worrying about things that are out of your control. Hell in 4+ years things could change dramatically. Its easy to get bogged down in these kind of future things, but taking everything one step at a time is much better for your mental health. It will work out as long as you make yourself a good applicant. Best of luck

Psychiatry would probably be easy to match into a state like Florida with many programs (easier the better candidate you are). Ortho extremely hard. You are at the mercy of the match when you apply to a field like ortho and are just lucky to get a spot regardless of location

Sounds like you haven't even started med school? I would just go to the best med school you can and do well and you should should be fine to end up in Florida..

Its way in the future for you, but for others in this situation my advice would be to just email the program coordinators around September 25th of your 4th year to let them know why you specifically applied to that program. It should be about 1/2 page and explain why you need to be in that geographic location and why you love their program and want to learn more at an interview. Unless you're a bad applicant, this will probably buy you an interview for the non-top programs in non-competitive specialties. Worth trying for ortho but probably less likely to help.

Freida is useless aside from finding what programs exist and where.

thank you all so much for the help. this make me feel better. i really have no idea what specialty i will choose but i will be lucky to have the opportunity to go to a top school this fall. for me what matters most is ending up in florida so i would want to maximize my chances at that. this make me think that perhaps choosing a less competitive specialty could be a better option
Don’t make a big mistake. Choose the specialty you want because you like it not because it’s the easiest to get back to Florida. Residency is short, your career is long. Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 users
Psychiatry would probably be easy to match into a state like Florida with many programs (easier the better candidate you are). Ortho extremely hard. You are at the mercy of the match when you apply to a field like ortho and are just lucky to get a spot regardless of location

Could you shed some more light on this? I’m OOS for FL but there’s a 99.9% chance I’m going to an MD school in FL. I’m also strongly interested in psych. Are there a lot of psych programs in the large FL cities?

Could you shed some more light on this? I’m OOS for FL but there’s a 99.9% chance I’m going to an MD school in FL. I’m also strongly interested in psych. Are there a lot of psych programs in the large FL cities?

I think that statement refers to the fact that psychiatry is traditionally a relatively non-competitive field, though this is changing. There are decent opportunities in bigger cities.

To address OP's question, my school (over 1000 miles away) had several people match into Florida programs, but not in anything extremely competitive.

From what I've read there certainly ought to be! :cool::D

('Florida man...')

By quoting me like that it's as if you're responding to me!
...which is why their message begin with "My next advice, lol".

As in "What you said was going to be my next advice to OP...here are more specifics on how to do that."