x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway902100

Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently had a patient whose therapist pointed to the ARNP who was just down the hall her from her office. Patient established care, and came to see me for a fair well / 2nd opinion visit. I pointed out how the meds went from 1 to like 4-6, and why I wouldn't have changed the regiment in that fashion. Now the patient is unsure of if the geographic conveniency is worth it to see the ARNP, vs still see me via telepsychiatry.

For many patients you are a commodity, a "Provider" and they don't know the difference between an ARNP/PA/Physician, and things like insurance network status, location matter more than your training.

Relax.

Reactions: 4 users
Or will you be fine at a decent community program? What about a longstanding program with a lot of alumni vs. a brand new (but seemingly great) community program?

Like most things, the answer is that it depends.

If you are moving to Boston or Raleigh where everyone is 100% Harvard/Duke (I’m exaggerating - don’t argue this), obviously it’s going to be more difficult to fill your cash practice coming from Texas A&M.

If you are in a normal city like Dallas, Little Rock, Tampa, Albuquerque, etc., no one cares.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or will you be fine at a decent community program? What about a longstanding program with a lot of alumni vs. a brand new (but seemingly great) community program?
I would pick the established program over the new one. New programs often have kinks to work out, and that may or may not affect the quality of your training.

Reactions: 7 users
I would pick the established program over the new one. New programs often have kinks to work out, and that may or may not affect the quality of your training.

This. Brand new programs are a headache and should be avoided at all cost unless they're attached to a well-known reputable brand. A brand new community residency program sounds awful to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Like most things, the answer is that it depends.

If you are moving to Boston or Raleigh where everyone is 100% Harvard/Duke (I’m exaggerating - don’t argue this), obviously it’s going to be more difficult to fill your cash practice coming from Texas A&M.

If you are in a normal city like Dallas, Little Rock, Tampa, Albuquerque, etc., no one cares.

The wait is so long, I'd imagine you can still fill. You could charge slightly less, get patients who are tired of waiting, provide great care, then raise your rates. That's what I plan to do.

Being from a "lesser" program would probably filter out the problematic personalities. Plus you can refer patients to one of the many Harvard "experts" down the street if they vehemently disagree with your diagnosis.