x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017749

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
This might sound a bit antagonistic, but do YOU think makes you diverse?

Because if you don't really believe it, I doubt they person reading it will.

Hopefully that's helpful

Hi thanks for your response! I definitely understand what you're getting at.

I feel like the origin might not be particularly diverse but where I ended up might be. I ended up really wanted to understand more about vegetable gardening and got a soil science minor. I also spent a lot of time volunteering on farms around my college town. For the last few years I've had a passion project where I've been trying to grow every fruit tree that is able to thrive in my climate. I think these are pretty unique experiences/interests that might show a side of me that my primary doesn't focus on.
That definitely sounds diverse to me. And as a fellow Gardener, I approve :)

So how will that help you as a doctor and medical student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! So I'm having some difficulty with this aspect. I typed up some thoughts below, but please let me know if it makes no sense lol

I thought about mentioning the patience and perseverance I gained by watching seeds and saplings grow throughout the years. It was definitely a hobby where I had to dedicate lots of time towards, with little immediate gratification. Eventually, the dedication paid off. Also, I thought of mentioning discouragement after many mishaps and less than favorable harvests, but adapting rather than quitting at it. I was hoping to take these qualities that I've gained and how they might make me a better doctor.
I think the context is diverse, but really it sounds to me like you're just saying patience and perseverance. Good things, but I think everyone will be using those. I actually wrote a little about gardening in my PS. I approached it from the angle of learning how to take care of plants and how figuring out what plants needed based on their physical signs got me interested in associating basic science with solving larger problems. Not sure if it's the best answer, but I think it's a bit more unique

I liked what you said earlier about the connections you realized. I think you could def use that

Reactions: 1 user
The diversity prompt is about getting broad representation from among many "communities" that make up the entire population. Who will you represent? Do you belong to a group that is not necessarily well represented and where your classmates and future patients would benefit from your representation? You might not be the only ___ in the class but in a group of 8 or 9 students you might be the only one representing ___.

In your case, rural folks are not well represented in medical school classes and you would give voice to their point of view, their way of life and their issues. Being a gardener, not so much, but understanding how much time per day for days at a time one spends sitting in the cab of a combine during harvesting and the difficulties that presents in terms of diet, exercise, and mental health would be an important contribution to a class discussion with people who picture Mr. McGregor's garden when they think of a farm.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this have to be about communities that represent our background (i.e. where we were raised/family life/etc), or can this also be about our experiences (i.e. worked with x population extensively)?

You are going to best reflect the community you grew up in moreso than being someone who spent even a significant amount of time in a community where you might have been seen as an outsider.

JAMA has just republished The Nod. Take a look at it.