Xanax for PMDD?

Started by Hurricane
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hurricane

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm doing Step 3 questions, and in the OB section, the answer says that if a woman fails fluoxetine 20 mg for PMDD, the appropriate next step is to prescribe alprazolam during the luteal phase rather than increase the dose of fluoxetine.

Seriously?

Xanax for PMS?

I hate OB.
 
For some reason, they always mention alprazolam, along with ssris, and gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist, OCPs, danazol, etc....makes sense that a benzo might relieve perception of subjective symptoms.
 
Um . . . No. I have NEVER heard that one before.

makes sense that a benzo might relieve perception of subjective symptoms.

Yeah, but it's like killing a fly with a machine gun! Not to dismiss PMS. I've had it and it sucks, but I just don't see giving xanax for it.
 
Yeah, but it's like killing a fly with a machine gun! Not to dismiss PMS. I've had it and it sucks, but I just don't see giving xanax for it.

Me neither. Xanax = crack of the benzo world.

But whatever, I'll do whatever the USMLE people want me to do.