Xavier University of Louisiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Nino

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everybody I am new poster to SDN. First off, I am sixteen years old, and currently a junior in high school. I am a very ambitious African American male with intentions on becoming a doctor.

Back to Topic:

(I have searched the forums regarding XULA; however, the information was outdated)

For the past few months, I have looked at few colleges I want to attend as an undergrad. XULA, or Xavier University of Louisiana caught my eye (small classrooms, teacher-student interaction, 71% girl student body:D and more). I have a few questions for alumni or current students who attend/attended this school.

How is XULA science department (effectiveness in teaching etc.)? Do you feel the professors covered sufficient information to "do well" on the MCAT? (Minus your efforts)

How is the math department? I'm interested in majoring mathematics. (I know I am probably crazy for doing this since, I am not really good at math, but, math is interesting!)

How do you feel XULA has prepared you for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whats up man, I'm a pre-med at XULA... its a wonderful school and a pretty high-schoolish like atmosphere (if you're okay with that). The campus is ever-expanding and the pre-med program is second to none.

The Biology dept. is the biggest in the school and you have alot of research oppurtunities, the Chem Dept. is friendly as well... EVERY class you take at xavier should be easy considering all the help that's available, theres tutoring centers and labs all around campus to ensure you never get confused in classes.

Also the instructors are very available too.

If you want a school with alot of girls, very materialistic (fashion wise), small, and in a vibrant party city, come here.

If you wanta big university experience, real movie-like college experience and fast paced, dont come lol.

Oh and if you're a pre-med you have to join the pre-med groups and attend meetings all the time that help you with the med school application process, and this goes on throughout the entire 4-years you're there.

I'm a philosophy/chemistry student. Xavier's easy, but it's hard as hell if you dont put in work.

Nobody gets grades for nothing, you work for those grades.

As far as being a mathematics major, thats cool, just make sure you major in something you enjoy doing and would do pretty good in. The mathematics dept., LOVES their students, they even offer summer programs at other big schools to those guys.

Whats up man, I'm a pre-med at XULA... its a wonderful school and a pretty high-schoolish like atmosphere (if you're okay with that). The campus is ever-expanding and the pre-med program is second to none.

The Biology dept. is the biggest in the school and you have alot of research oppurtunities, the Chem Dept. is friendly as well... EVERY class you take at xavier should be easy considering all the help that's available, theres tutoring centers and labs all around campus to ensure you never get confused in classes.

If you want a school with alot of girls, very materialistic (fashion wise), small, and in a vibrant party city, come here.

If you wanta big university experience, real movie-like college experience and fast paced, dont come lol.

Oh and if you're a pre-med you have to join the pre-med groups and attend meetings all the time that help you with the med school application process, and this goes on throughout the entire 4-years you're there.

I'm a philosophy/chemistry student. Xavier's easy, but it's hard as hell if you dont put in work.

As far as being a mathematics major, thats cool, just make sure you major in something you enjoy doing and would do pretty good in. The mathematics dept., LOVES their students, they even offer summer programs at other big schools to those guys.

i graduated in 2000, and it sounds like things haven't changed!

btw, i graduated with qv (jwc's right hand woman) and still stay in touch with her, so if you don't act right i'll hear about it!

the science department is great.

no idea about math.

the statistics don't lie, xu graduates and sends more african-americans to medical school than any other school. and its been like that for a while. i keep in touch with a lot of people whom i graduated with, and most of us are dentists or physicians.

if you go to xu, do what jwc says (regardless of how you feel about it), you will be more prepared than the majority of your counterparts at other institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everybody I am new poster to SDN. First off, I am sixteen years old, and currently a junior in high school. I am a very ambitious African American male with intentions on becoming a doctor. I have S.V.T or Supraventricular tachycardia (lol I hoped I spelled it right) which one of many reasons why I want to become a doctor.

Back to Topic:

(I have searched the forums regarding XULA; however, the information was outdated)

For the past few months, I have looked at few colleges I want to attend as an undergrad. XULA, or Xavier University of Louisiana caught my eye (small classrooms, teacher-student interaction, 71% girl student body:D and more). I have a few questions for alumni or current students who attend/attended this school.

How is XULA science department (effectiveness in teaching etc.)? Do you feel the professors covered sufficient information to "do well" on the MCAT? (Minus your efforts)

How is the math department? I'm interested in majoring mathematics. (I know I am probably crazy for doing this since, I am not really good at math, but, math is interesting!)

How do you feel XULA has prepared you for medical school?

The above poster just about said it all. At any undergraduate institution, you need to look for strong science departments with entry-level courses that are well-taught and strong counseling departments so that you can get the information and support that you need for application to medical school.

In addition, find a campus with an atmosphere in which you can thrive and you are set. If your two choices meet those requirements and you meet their requirements for admission, then you are set. There are thousands of excellent colleges and universities out there that can prepare you well for medical school. The bottom line is that it's up to you to do excellent work and become pro-active about getting an excellent education. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I have recently called Xavier University of Louisiana admission office, and, I found out I am eligible for a full tuition scholarship. I may apply for early admission, and, attend in the summer of 2009 (pre med program and get the core cirrculum out of the way.)

My grandparents are scheduling an visit to Xavier University right now!