medgator

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Did my first case yesterday.

Yes many do although it's sometimes done by nuc med depending on geography and politics

Cancerdancer

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We are doing them all in our practice, hasn't even been a conversation about whether us or Nuc Med. There are good consults to see, as I've seen a few with large mets in the proximal femurs that I've run by Ortho and/or done a short course of EBRT while waiting for Xofigo to process/arrive. Same with spine mets, I often throw in 20/5 if bulky/threatening cord. Med Oncs and certainly Nuc Meds don't think about these local issues as we do.

Dec 25, 2013
We are doing them all in our practice, hasn't even been a conversation about whether us or Nuc Med. There are good consults to see, as I've seen a few with large mets in the proximal femurs that I've run by Ortho and/or done a short course of EBRT while waiting for Xofigo to process/arrive. Same with spine mets, I often throw in 20/5 if bulky/threatening cord. Med Oncs and certainly Nuc Meds don't think about these local issues as we do.
That's a very good point and I completely agree.

seper

7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2010
Status
how do you guys figure out use of this drug around chemo regimens?

medgator

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
how do you guys figure out use of this drug around chemo regimens?
It's pretty straight forward (I think). It's only approved for metastatic castrate-resistant prostate CA with symptomatic bone mets, without evidence of visceral mets (since Xofigo only has a predilection for targeting bone).

If someone presents to me with visceral metastatic disease, I'd send them for chemo (and if their PS isn't great, I believe there is some data now for Zytiga, and soon for Xtandi)