yaah and others, help me pick programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm an MS4 at a small midwestern MD school and I was hoping I could get some input on my list of potential residency programs. There's not a path residency program at my school. I've got zero research, 200 plus change on Step 1, and I'm in the bottom third/top fourth quartile of my class. I'm doing hospital path next month at a large community hospital affiliated with my med school and an away path elective in Nov. I'm married to a captain in the Air Force, no kids.

1. Penrose in Colorado Springs (this is my away elective in Nov)
2. U of Colorado
3. LSU-Shreveport
4. Berkshire Med Ctr Pittsfield, Mass
5. U of New Mexico
6. Penn State
7. UTSW Dallas
8. Baylor Medical Ctr Dallas
9. U of Utah
10. U of Tenn- Memphis
11. UPenn
12. Vermont

Should I apply to more programs, less programs? Different quality of programs? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

PS This is for AP/CP.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you're kind of applying all over the place - most look like good choices. If you are looking at Vermont I would add Dartmouth. If you are looking at Berkshires I might add Baystate and UMass. Also a few in Connecticut, Albany, Rochester.

Berkshires is a good program for training community physicians. Not a huge volume there but they teach well. U Missouri, from what I have heard, has a strong overall training program.

Utah, UPenn, UVM will be tough matches but by all means apply, you never know!

You can always apply to more. I think with the programs you have there you would be safe in matching to many of them, but then again one can never guarantee anything. I don't know a ton about a lot of the smaller programs out there, particularly in the Colorado and southwest areas.

Penrose-very small program. My impression from contacting them last year is that they would like for you to do a rotation there and get to know them personally.
Utah-great on CP with the ARUP connection. Worked with a guy who is on part-time faculty there and he said the program is in some turmoil (this was as recent as last spring). Know a guy who finished there this past year and thought he was well prepared overall. I didn't get an interview there.
LSU-S-no interview here, either. Heard they are trying to become more research-oriented, trying to upgrade overall. Having trained in the LSU system, can't beat the variety of disease you will see.
Sorry to be so vague and rumorish, but just something you may want to have your antennae up about.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Ohio, I would definitely check out Cincinnati and Cleveland Clinic. Both have stellar programs.

I actually wasn't too impressed with Cincinnati when I interviewed there. Cleveland Clinic is a great name but they were extremely busy.

If you are looking in the midwest, check out Vanderbilt, Iowa and of course, Indiana (only slight bias there). All three have great material, faculty and facilities.

Regarding New Mexico, I seem to remember hearing some sketchy rumors about the place a while back. One of my friends, who was interested in that program, now hates me because I can't remember the specifics on why the place was scary.

Anyone..... anyone??

deschutes said:
Hey Doc B! I found your blogspot, it's awesome! Thanks for putting all those gems in one place.

No problem, glad it was helpful! I created that b/c I had nothing to refer to for help when I applied to path; I wanted future med students to have a reference about interviewing, etc. It's also a good way for me to collect good path links, keep them all in one place and share them with everyone else.

The statement about "great hospitals" not always having good training programs is very true. I do think Wash U has great training but they are very, very busy.

That is pretty funny-

Last edited: