Yale EM Granted Departmental Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all the faculty at Yale for being granted departmental status! The Yale Corporation voted unanimously to make EM a department.

The change is effective 1 July. Dr. D'Onofrio, current section chief, will remain as the chair.

A lot of faculty have worked hard for this, and it's certainly been a long time coming.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!

Take care,
Jeff

Congrats! I interviewed at Yale last year and the faculty I met definitely seemed very dedicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to here that they are progressing very well. When I was there, we were essentially a brand new program. There was always talk of becoming department status, but it was known that it would take quite a while....Nice to see it finally happen! Go Yale!

On a side note, I've been out of residency for frickin 7 YEARS! I have to start thinking of re-cert stuff....Now that makes me a saaaaad panda.

As a fourth year med student at Yale I'm psyched about the change, when I got here I kept thinking that it was weird that EM was still a section, especially given that it already seemed pretty autonomous (own M & M, own offices etc). Wonder if this will change anything as far as the life of residents and med students and residents, or only really changes the life of the chair for budgets etc. Anyone been through a similar transition and care to comment?