Yale EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this interview at the end of the month, but I'm considering canceling. I have had interviews at some good programs I liked and I don't really think I would like living in New Haven. That being said, it's a great medical institution, so I assume the program has to be strong. I've looked on the forums for some information about the program and there has been some strange (now deleted) complaints about it. Can anyone give some feedback as to how the program compares to other more research orientated (vs county) programs? For example, vs MGH/BWH, Brown, UCLA.

Members don't see this ad.

A disgruntled resident posted some comments a while back and those were deleted. Yale did make some changes in leadership last year but I do not know the details behind this. There are former Yale residents in SDN and perhaps they can comment. Even though I did residency in CT I don't know much about the Yale program.

New Haven is actually a pretty good place to live and work. Of course, New England weather isn't for everyone.

I would encourage you to attend the interview unless you would rather not match than end up at Yale. The match is unpredictable and every year some strong candidates end up scrambling. I just would not turn down an interview unless there is no way you would go to the program.

Yale is a great program and I would train there again in a heartbeat if I had to do residency again. Strong academics, great electives, international opportunities, lots of critical care make it a top notch program. Would be happy to talk to you about it. Just pm me your number.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am graduate of this program and I would highly reccomed it. Great ICU, trauma adult ED and Pedi ED experience. Like anything in life it's often what you make of it. Enjoyed new haven, enjoyed my time at Yale and currently doing well and happy with my career. Yale prepared me well.

Not to fan the flames, but the residency experience is often dictated by the environment created by the PD. Do either of the previous posters who are graduates of the program have any experience with the person named in the other thread(s)? Were you there when he was PD?