Yale Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andexterouss

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just researching different medical schools' curriculum and how they differ and i noticed that Yale seems to place more in emphasis on clinical skills. For example, in your second year, you are being taught invasive physical examination skills like pelvic exam, male genital and rectal exam, breast exam, phlebotomy and intravenous placement. I looked at DMU's site and they don't teach those(I could be wrong). Neither does NYU nor Mount Sinai. I'm applying to DO schools this summer and I was wondering if 3rd students from different DO schools can perhaps chimed in on what clinical skills are being taught at their respective schools and if they felt adequately prepared going into their rotations.

PS: I'm not trying to start an MD vs DO war. Just trying to research the best school for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: see Dr. Mom's post below. Regardless, I'd be looking at other factors besides "When you learn how to do a pelvic exam" in considering what school to go to.

I thought everyone was taught that stuff in MS1/2 *shrug* We definitely were taught those clinical skills plus more.

I don't think you can rely on DMU (or any other school's) website to specify exactly what is taught.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale is actually a DO school. The diploma looks like it says MD, but there are some dots at the top of it, and if you stare at them long enough in soft-focus, a 3-D image that says "DO" will appear.

You're applying to both Yale and DO schools?

Here's the skivvy I've gotten from most people when they talk about patient contact in the early years--it's a little silly.

Why? First, because believe it or not you're already busy as hell, and your time becomes ridiculously valuable. So writing up a touchy feely paper on your encounter with patients when you've got 3 tests next was definitely something that annoyed my friends. Second, you can't do anything because you're just a first or second year med student. You haven't learned nearly enough for your patient contact to be valuable at all.

That doesn't directly answer your question, but my point is that all doctors learn those skills at some point. I don't quite understand why it would be a big factor as to when in your first 3 years you learn them.

Actually, I'm not. I was reading US News report and Yale med school students tend to get high marks from residency directors during their rotations and so I decided to research and compare to other schools. There are no published reports for DO schools so i can't really compare them. Hence, the reason I posted the question.
Also i think it matters because i'm planning on entering a competitive field and lots of residency program directors put a lot of emphasis on grades from your clinical rotations. You don't wanna unprepared in front of an attending.....do we now? :)
Again it may not have anything to do with Yale.It might just be the caliber of students it attracts.

Last edited:
Yale is actually a DO school. The diploma looks like it says MD, but there are some dots at the top of it, and if you stare at them long enough in soft-focus, a 3-D image that says "DO" will appear.

So that's why those who can't get into Harvard settle for Yale, makes sense now.

Actually, I'm not. I was reading US News report and Yale med school students tend to get high marks from residency directors during their rotations
Imagine that.

Today's US News and World Report Headline:

YALE MEDICAL SCHOOL TO BEGIN ADMITTING REALLY SMART KIDS

Imagine that.

YALE MEDICAL SCHOOL TO BEGIN ADMITTING REALLY SMART KIDS

I'm guessing your part in this discuss is......comic relief? Like I said, it may have more to do with the students . That's why i'm asking 3rd students to chime in.

looking on printed material for DO schools can be misleading. Many schools dont publish specifics about the clinical years such as procedures that you will learn. I think it has been a growing trend that DO students are much better prepared for clinical procedures than other students due to early exposure to those very things you talk about. At most or all of my interviews it was brought up that their students learned some specific procedures. I think the only difference is that schools like Yale trumpet this information through websites and publications.

I was just researching different medical schools' curriculum and how they differ and i noticed that Yale seems to place more in emphasis on clinical skills. For example, in your second year, you are being taught invasive physical examination skills like pelvic exam, male genital and rectal exam, breast exam, phlebotomy and intravenous placement. I looked at DMU's site and they don't teach those(I could be wrong). Neither does NYU nor Mount Sinai. I'm applying to DO schools this summer and I was wondering if 3rd students from different DO schools can perhaps chimed in on what clinical skills are being taught at their respective schools and if they felt adequately prepared going into their rotations.

PS: I'm not trying to start an MD vs DO war. Just trying to research the best school for me. Thanks!

I looked at DMU's site and they don't teach those(I could be wrong).--> Correct, you are wrong. We have a surgical skills course second year where we learn all of that and more. We also learn pelvic examination skills in our gyn lab.

Furthermore, I did a 0.5 second search on Google and found this: http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/curriculum/sim_teaching_tools/

While it doesn't list everything we learn, it does a decent job.

I'm guessing your part in this discuss is......comic relief? Like I said, it may have more to do with the students . That's why i'm asking 3rd students to chime in.

I'm surprised that you would expect much of anything else from TT than his post. That and.. nevermind..

I looked at DMU's site and they don't teach those(I could be wrong).--> Correct, you are wrong. We have a surgical skills course second year where we learn all of that and more. We also learn pelvic examination skills in our gyn lab.

Furthermore, I did a 0.5 second search on Google and found this: http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/curriculum/sim_teaching_tools/

While it doesn't list everything we learn, it does a decent job.

Thanks for correcting me. I have a limited amount of money and I can't afford to go to 20 different interviews. So I'm only applying to handful of schools and just making sure that i'm comfortable with their teaching style and curriculum before i send that check!

At SOMA we do all those things in the first year, but we're also the only school in the nation that starts clinicals in our second year. Broadly speaking, DO schools tend to emphasize clinical training, while MD schools emphasize research medicine more. However, any school you go to will make sure that you have the skills necessary to start rotations even if they don't emphasize it in their literature.

Members don't see this ad :)
At SOMA we do all those things in the first year, but we're also the only school in the nation that starts clinicals in our second year. Broadly speaking, DO schools tend to emphasize clinical training, while MD schools emphasize research medicine more. However, any school you go to will make sure that you have the skills necessary to start rotations even if they don't emphasize it in their literature.

I didn't realize SOMA already started (or should it be modified to say "At SOMA we WILL do all those things in the first year")

I know of several MD schools that start clinical training in their 2nd year (ie University of Pennsylvania SOM) so SOMA is not (or will not) be the only school in the nation that starts their clinical during their 2nd year. (to be fair, Penn med students start it in the second half of their second year. Don't know when SOMA plans to have their students start their clinical portion)

i will let my future menians do all the exams and iv placement as i bark the orders for incoming trauma :D

at UNE you are definitely taught pelvic, rectal, testicular, etc. exams. Also basic systems exams. You do one venipuncture (more if your partner will let you). Hopefully the new SimMan stations will be operational for y'all coming in so you can get more hands on with ET, NG, and central line placements.

I understand you want a legit answer, so let me try to explain this one. TT has approx 4500 posts and out of those 4500 posts he has six, count them six legit posts that have nothing to do with humor, being rick rolled,or GA-PCOM. Your chances of getting a serious answer from his is about slim to none. Matter of fact, the chances of you seeing an electron with the naked eye are greater than seeing a serious answer from TT. hehehe

Just pickin on you TT:smuggrin:

For those who find any user to be annoying to the point of irritation, let me remind you all of the handy-dandy "ignore" feature. Just go to a user's public profile, then User Lists (should be right next to Send Message in the dark blue menu bar under the user's name). Here a pull-down menu will show "Add to Ignore List" Click on that. You won't have to see their posts after that.

And on another note, you will definitely note those members who basically say nothing worthwhile, those who only say negative stuff, the bitter ones, the every-hopeful ones (who will say "Oh! With a GPA of 0.05 and an MCAT of 9 you DEFINITELY have a chance!"). It doesn't take long to peg any of those folks. Now whether you read anything they say is up to you. You can ignore them with the above feature, or you can just scroll past them like strolling past a prostitute on West Colfax Ave in Denver.

Fortunately, there are plenty of folks here who will answer your questions too. :)

I didn't realize SOMA already started (or should it be modified to say "At SOMA we WILL do all those things in the first year")

I know of several MD schools that start clinical training in their 2nd year (ie University of Pennsylvania SOM) so SOMA is not (or will not) be the only school in the nation that starts their clinical during their 2nd year. (to be fair, Penn med students start it in the second half of their second year. Don't know when SOMA plans to have their students start their clinical portion)

Yup SOMA's inaugural class has been at it now for almost 11 months. Enjoyed (said with sarcasm) giving my first testicular and rectal exam last week, with breast and pelvic exam in a few weeks. We start clinical training in September this year, which is great--but we also stay in school until the middle of July, sucks! We dont get a summer break like other transitional first/second years, so its a give and take.

Yup SOMA's inaugural class has been at it now for almost 11 months. Enjoyed (said with sarcasm) giving my first testicular and rectal exam last week, with breast and pelvic exam in a few weeks. We start clinical training in September this year, which is great--but we also stay in school until the middle of July, sucks! We dont get a summer break like other transitional first/second years, so its a give and take.

Good luck with all that...

When will it all end.....when will it end!? [gets down on knees, shakes fists in the air].

you can just scroll past them like strolling past a prostitute on West Colfax Ave in Denver.

I think you mean East Colfax. I've yet to see hookers at Casa Bonita.

Have the consolidated more easterly then? They migrate; but they never did get as far west as Casa Bonita. They still have the divers there? I haven't been there in... oh... almost 20 years (I can't believe I just said that). Of course, I remember when LoDo was a craphole too, before they renovated it and put the ballpark down there. Was really great for all kinds of shootings, stabbings, drunks, dead folks in the alleys... those have all moved now and LoDo is trendy and hip.

Is the bar in 5 points still there? The one with the big jar of money that says all the money goes to the first _____ guy who kills the first honkey that walks through the door? (I'm not kidding). They were working pretty hard on cleaning up 5 points when I left a few years ago. Ah, yes, the good ol' days. :laugh:

Interesting that SOMA has early clinicals. It wasn't really on my list of schools to apply to. I'm gonna look into it more.

I'm yet to run into a med student that hasn't learned that stuff during their first two years. (Both DO and MD) There really isn't too much to most of those things. You learn pretty fast what a large prostate is relative to a small one and whatever else. The biggest factor isn't encountering something you don't know what to do, it is getting over the fact that you are doing it to a person you met about 45 seconds before that. ;) I mean, I've done some of that stuff shadowing doctors as a premed, so I have a hard time seeing why they wouldn't put that in the curriculum. Be thankful you didn't go to my dad's med school in the 60s. Their class was all guys, and they had to practice digital rectal exams on each other before meeting patients. Also had to practice blood draws that way. (First on yourself, then your fellow classmates)

I didn't realize SOMA already started (with so many new DO schools popping up, it's hard to keep up with who is starting when). I stand corrected

For all pre-clinical and pre-medical students out there, trust me, you will get plenty of experience with rectals, prostate, GYN exams before you graduate - it does not matter if you first learn it during your MS1-2 years or during your MS3 years (you'll probably learn more during your MS3 year)

My part in this discussion is actually to be ****ing right. If I'm ****ing right, why does it matter how I answer your question?

Is it really a big surprise that Yale kids are doing well in their rotations? Now if you told me that Yale kids are usually really bad in their rotations, I might be inclined to think that they are doing something wrong.

For those who find any user to be annoying to the point of irritation, let me remind you all of the handy-dandy "ignore" feature. Just go to a user's public profile, then User Lists (should be right next to Send Message in the dark blue menu bar under the user's name). Here a pull-down menu will show "Add to Ignore List" Click on that. You won't have to see their posts after that.

And on another note, you will definitely note those members who basically say nothing worthwhile, those who only say negative stuff, the bitter ones, the every-hopeful ones (who will say "Oh! With a GPA of 0.05 and an MCAT of 9 you DEFINITELY have a chance!"). It doesn't take long to peg any of those folks. Now whether you read anything they say is up to you. You can ignore them with the above feature, or you can just scroll past them like strolling past a prostitute on West Colfax Ave in Denver.

Fortunately, there are plenty of folks here who will answer your questions too. :)

Blah, that is the easy way out. If you want to be a real SDN user you should instead argue with the people you don't agree with convinced that you will somehow change their opinion. After you realize that this is impossible you should then follow them from thread to thread disagreeing with everything they say, even, and here is the key, if you actually agree with them. That is what a real SDN user does; either that or an obsessed stalker with little time on their hands.

Seems that way sometimes Jamers. Why be mature when you can regress to be just like a badly behaved 4 year old?

:lol:

Blah, that is the easy way out. If you want to be a real SDN user you should instead argue with the people you don't agree with convinced that you will somehow change their opinion. After you realize that this is impossible you should then follow them from thread to thread disagreeing with everything they say, even, and here is the key, if you actually agree with them. That is what a real SDN user does; either that or an obsessed stalker with little time on their hands.

Finally ... someone who understands the game!! :laugh:

My part in this discussion is actually to be ****ing right. If I'm ****ing right, why does it matter how I answer your question?

Is it really a big surprise that Yale kids are doing well in their rotations? Now if you told me that Yale kids are usually really bad in their rotations, I might be inclined to think that they are doing something wrong.

Umm, no. You didn't answer the question. The question was :"3rd students from different DO schools can perhaps chimed in on what clinical skills are being taught at their respective schools and if they felt adequately prepared going into their rotations."

Your response was :"Yale is actually a DO school. The diploma looks like it says MD, but there are some dots at the top of it, and if you stare at them long enough in soft-focus, a 3-D image that says "DO" will appear."

AND

"Imagine that.
YALE MEDICAL SCHOOL TO BEGIN ADMITTING REALLY SMART KIDS"

Judging from your Verbal score on the MCAT, you should know how important it is to answer the question being posed and not your definition of what the question is or should be or straying off the deep end to offer some insights on the intellectual capabilities of Yale med students.

You're referencing MCAT scores!?