Yale Secondary - Optional Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.LeoSpaceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on writing something for the additional essay on Yale's secondary? I finsihed the required one, but I have been stuck for a good two days trying to think of something to write in the optional space. SHould I not use this space unless I have something very poignant to say? I don't want to come off sounding like I am just trying to fill space. But I also don't want to be one of the only people to leave this part blank.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have anything you think could help you, then definitely put it in there. Especially with a school like Yale, you really need to do something to distinguish yourself. Leaving that space blank certainly isn't going to help you. Writing a bunch of nonsense probably won't help you either. But if there's anything you have to say, I suggest you say it. And if you're worried about looking like you're just trying to fill up space, then keep it short and to the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet you've written enough essays for other schools where you can just pull out one of those and basically cut-and-paste it. That's what I did with minimal alteration.

rule of thumb..don't leave anything blank.. write an essay that addresses the question "is there anything else you'd like us to know" and basically use it for all your schools in that optional essay/ what do you want us to know essay spot..

~L

P.S. it helps..

I dunno. I wrote the optional essay for Yale, but when I looked at the final application (the PDF version you can download that the admissions office will see), the space for the optional essay just said:

"Extra space if needed. Do not continue essay into this space."

So I kind of got the feeling they didn't want you to cloud up the application with random stuff unless there was something you really needed to say. So, even though I wrote the essay, I choose not to put it in because it was just more "this is why I'm awesome and this is why I like Yale." I wrote all the optional essays for my other schools, but, for some reason, it didn't seem appropriate for Yale.

WHAT OPTIONAL ESSAY???????

YOU ARE ALL ON CRACK!

Read the application again, there is no extra optional essay

Rugger81 said:
WHAT OPTIONAL ESSAY???????

YOU ARE ALL ON CRACK!

Read the application again, there is no extra optional essay

Right, but there was "optional space" if there was "anything else you'd like to bring to the attention of the admissions committee." That's what people are freaking out about.

Yes, I ended up using my overcoming obstacles essay from WashU. Not sure if that was relevant or not. I just didn't want to leave it blank.

Generally there's no such thing as an optional essay. What's the question? Maybe it would help to know how difficult it is to find something to write about?