Yale vs BIDMC vs MGH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LolaAnesthesia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions on these programs? How would you rank them?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
any other opinions?

reverse alphabetically.

More seriously...All are good. Probably Boston ones higher because I like Boston more. Depends on your ultimate goal. If private practice probably BIDMC then MGH.

actually my comment was not in jest but rather my opinion of how to rank them which happened to line up alphabetically also

any specifics thoughts about Yale?

-Most down to earth and easy going Chairperson of all three programs.
-Good general overall education - balance of didactics and cases.
-Great hospital system. 1.5 hours away from NYC via the metro north train (at 30 dollars round trip, it's not too shabby).
-Small quiet town for those who like that sort of thing.
-Decent cost of living relative to salary
-Very research oriented.
-House staff is pretty awesome
-Faculty is....fair
-great support system within the program

-Most down to earth and easy going Chairperson of all three programs.
-Good general overall education - balance of didactics and cases.
-Great hospital system. 1.5 hours away from NYC via the metro north train (at 30 dollars round trip, it's not too shabby).
-Small quiet town for those who like that sort of thing.
-Decent cost of living relative to salary
-Very research oriented.
-House staff is pretty awesome
-Faculty is....fair
-great support system within the program

What are you leaning towards SuperHiro?

What are you leaning towards SuperHiro?

I find this funny too. I have interviewed at a number of places that you all have. I kind of wonder if we are going to be working together soon.

Ranking these programs is completely dependent on what your goals are and how your personality is...

I will say that I would think Boston is a better/more fun city, but of course that depends on what you're looking for. I'm sure you will be well-prepared if you go to any of these, so I would strongly value the atmosphere in which you will be working and how good of a vibe you got at each place (where you felt you "fit in" the best, etc). Your happiness will create the best learning environment for yourself...

I interviewed at all 3 last year: MGH has the greatest amount of annual research funding and offers a great deal of support for those who plan to teach / go into academic anesthesia. Beth Israel has an awesome pain service (one of the best in the nation), and offers good training for those going into community-based medicine / private practice. Yale has a great chair, and (per report) a good cardiac service. You can't go wrong with any of the three. However, subjectively (and based on my own personal preference), I'd say that:

MGH > Yale > Beth Israel

Still not 100% sure. I keep putting off the decision =(

I suspect that in the end I will choose the Boston programs over New Haven though. I might be too much of a big city guy....

I recently graduated from MGH. The perks: it has a huge alumni network and therefore can pretty much find whatever private practice/academic group across the country. Luckily for me I'll be joining a very popular private group in southern Cali. :) Good luck!