Yale vs UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decidingquestion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people would choose if they had to pick between these two institutions. The cost of attendance is essentially the same for me, so no need to consider that. I'm asking more so what you would do if given the choice between these two schools.

I'm interested in primary care, so it seems like the better bet would be LA. Unfortunately, I'm from Orange County so LA is basically home for me. It's tough deciding between staying at home and leaving to go get a new experience on the east coast (also went to UCLA for undergrad, so it would feel like I was just staying in the same area still). The Yale System also seems great, due to the fact that I'm an independent learner. Not having to worry as much about exams and focusing more on learning would be a huge plus, along with the non-stressful and collaborative environment it creates. UCLA however would probably provide better clinical training and more opportunities to work with the community and underserved communities in particular.

Not really sure which way to lean, so I appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You can’t go wrong. I will say that Yale has very little interest in sending its students into primary care, so all else being equal UCLA may be a much better fit for you. Then again, primary care is not competitive so your choice of medical school is less important.

Reactions: 1 users
Give your interest in primary care, I would say UCLA is the better choice. Again, you can't go wrong with either!