Yale vs Utah vs Case for #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ru4real1666

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cross post from another forums (orthogate) that hasn't gotten any responses. I saw this forum was active so I thought I'd ask since I've seem some great advice given out. Trying to rank my #1. Hoping some people can chime in for what they think are the current pros and cons to this program. I have listed some concerns I have for each even after speaking to residents/mentors.

What I want: Academic program with great research infrastructure.

Yale Concerns: 3 research rotations, but it seems most residents only have 1 or 2 publications. Is there a reason for lack of research output? How is the sports experience here with only 1-2 sports surgeons?

Case Concerns: With 2 Level One trauma centers, is the PGY-5 year all trauma now instead of getting to pick your own cases/doing a "mini fellowship"? The Allen Fellowship Residents (the research year they take off) this past year were productive, but how productive are they usually? Does this have to be a basic science year off?

Utah Concerns: Heard from a few that operatively not as good as Case or Yale. Is that true or just hearsay? (Especially in Sports, Hand)

Again this is for my #1. I know this is a good position to be in but this has been a difficult decision. Thanks in advance everyone and I'm sure this will help others as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Cross post from another forums (orthogate) that hasn't gotten any responses. I saw this forum was active so I thought I'd ask since I've seem some great advice given out. Trying to rank my #1. Hoping some people can chime in for what they think are the current pros and cons to this program. I have listed some concerns I have for each even after speaking to residents/mentors.

What I want: Academic program with great research infrastructure.

Yale Concerns: 3 research rotations, but it seems most residents only have 1 or 2 publications. Is there a reason for lack of research output? How is the sports experience here with only 1-2 sports surgeons?

Case Concerns: With 2 Level One trauma centers, is the PGY-5 year all trauma now instead of getting to pick your own cases/doing a "mini fellowship"? The Allen Fellowship Residents (the research year they take off) this past year were productive, but how productive are they usually? Does this have to be a basic science year off?

Utah Concerns: Heard from a few that operatively not as good as Case or Yale. Is that true or just hearsay? (Especially in Sports, Hand)

Again this is for my #1. I know this is a good position to be in but this has been a difficult decision. Thanks in advance everyone and I'm sure this will help others as well!
Sorry, can't give specifics because I only interviewed at some of these places, but I ranked Yale above Case. Got a really good feel about the place and liked the residents. Personally, I liked Cleveland Clinic more than Case, FWIW. I'm also a Northeast guy, so I had a heavy preference on location. Yale did seem very research heavy. Being at a "top research" program, I can tell you there are plenty of people here that don't publish a ton. It is what you make of it everywhere. If you are motivated you can publish 10-20 papers (not all first author) at most top places, some more easily than others.

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately the rank list deadline passed a couple of days ago.