Yale Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

courteousyeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else out there been waitlisted by Yale today,like myself?

I'd like to get an idea of how many more of us are out there.

Members don't see this ad.

courteousyeto said:
Has anyone else out there been waitlisted by Yale today,like myself?

I'd like to get an idea of how many more of us are out there.

Waiiittttt....back up a second. When/how were you notified??

(edit: sorry, just saw your post on the yale thread, which was further down. I guess they snail mailed before the email...)

I don't know how many people Yale waitlists normally, but I do know from reading last year's thread that it's multi-tiered and has pretty decent movement...

I got a letter today around 12:30; it was postmarked March 22nd.

I do live in CT about 30 miles from Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no mentioned of which tier I'm in but it does say that "we estimate that approximately 25% of the incoming class is from the waitlist" which would be 25 people of the 100 person class

bidster said:
I don't know how many people Yale waitlists normally, but I do know from reading last year's thread that it's multi-tiered and has pretty decent movement...

just got back to campus; got "high waitlisted" dated 3/22. seems like there is some sort of tiering though they don't give out the whole picture. if there is this 25% movement, seems like we still have a chance. good luck and keep sending in those letters of interest/intent guys; it'll pay off sometime.

waitlisted 3/22. snail mail letter, no mention of "high". good luck!

waitlisted here, too. also, no mention of me being "high" on the waitlist (tee hee...). guess the dream is over, eh?

I got wait listed too for the MSTP and MD. It said no mention of "high" or the 25% acceptance so I'm not sure what that means. Best of luck everyone. I absolutely loved yale, but am hesitant about new haven.

To share the highlights of an email I received from the Patricia Soares, the ast. Director of Admissions:

-Those on the waitlist are not yet ranked (at least not officially or finally)

-It is important to send back the waitlist reply form soon (...which reminds me, gotta do that)

-Once the majority of waitlist replies have been returned they begin to order the applicants. She mentioned this is not a quick process, and it will like take about a month before the dust settles.

Therefore, there's going to be quite a bit of waiting for those on this list.

Good luck to all.

sidebar... Does it seem like Yale has waitlisted alot of people?? My reasoning is how few people have mentioned they were rejected.

Cosmodion said:
To share the highlights of an email I received from the Patricia Soares, the ast. Director of Admissions:

QUOTE]

This seems the more accurate picture of things than my "tiering" theory considering who your source of information is. To qualify myself, all I know is what is on my waitlist letter.

Cosmodion said:

-It is important to send back the waitlist reply form soon (...which reminds me, gotta do that)

-Once the majority of waitlist replies have been returned they begin to order the applicants. She mentioned this is not a quick process, and it will like take about a month before the dust settles.

Therefore, there's going to be quite a bit of waiting for those on this list.

Good luck to all.

sidebar... Does it seem like Yale has waitlisted alot of people?? My reasoning is how few people have mentioned they were rejected.

just fished around a bit on sdn for more info on the Yale waitlist from last year and it seems to jive with what you're talking about. Last year, they eventually got around to tiering it off (1-3) with tier 1 virtually being in, tier 2 being the maybe, tier 3 being the lower chance. There also seems to be a "high waitlist" that signifies the top of tier 1.

the bad news is that there has been great year to year variability with last year seeming like it got to the end of tier 2, the year before barely getting into tier 2, and 3 years back going well into tier 3 with 40+ people off the waitlist. the reason is most likely due to the strict 100 figure that yale needs to stick to for its class size and so it gives out initial acceptances relatively cautiously (not as many initial overcapacity acceptances) but then fills in with an active waitlist. the good news is that it seems mr. silverman is hands on about this and makes sure to talk to each waitlistee that calls (eventually).

this all seems to have started last year in early may with them saying it was behind schedule. here's the link to the long discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113874&highlight=yale+waitlist

good luck guys

did you get "high waitlist" on your waitlist letter?

biggreen05 said:
just fished around a bit on sdn for more info on the Yale waitlist from last year and it seems to jive with what you're talking about. Last year, they eventually got around to tiering it off (1-3) with tier 1 virtually being in, tier 2 being the maybe, tier 3 being the lower chance. There also seems to be a "high waitlist" that signifies the top of tier 1.

the bad news is that there has been great year to year variability with last year seeming like it got to the end of tier 2, the year before barely getting into tier 2, and 3 years back going well into tier 3 with 40+ people off the waitlist. the reason is most likely due to the strick 100 figure that yale needs to stick to for its class size and so it gives out initial acceptances relatively cautiously (not as many initial overcapacity acceptances) but then fills in with an active waitlist. the good news is that it seems mr. silverman is hands on about this and makes sure to talk to each waitlistee that calls (eventually).

this all seems to have started last year in early may with them saying it was behind schedule. here's the link to the long discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113874&highlight=yale+waitlist

good luck guys

yaldekab said:
did you get "high waitlist" on your waitlist letter?

yes, but it's not like upenn where they invite you to 2nd look weekend, so not sure how this will play out. probably just better to wait it out for at least a week as that's when it seems last year they started doing the tiering

Members don't see this ad :)
biggreen05,
the fact you got a 'high waitlist' even before the officially ranked the waitlist has gotta mean you have a really good chance.

And the fact that i was just waitlisted, not so good for me :(
goodluck to all those on the wl; looks like there is a 'considerable' amount of us... if only i could slip through the cracks and somehow get into yale ::sigh::

ah well. back to more waiting :cool:

sooo....does anyone know when they start ordering the waitlist into tiers?

anyone have any updates or know what is going on with the yale waitlist?

I called last Friday. I didn't talk to Silverman, but the person I talked to said they were still getting info back on who wanted to stay on the list. She said that it would be ordered within the next 2 or so. Then they will let us know.

FaytlND said:
I called last Friday. I didn't talk to Silverman, but the person I talked to said they were still getting info back on who wanted to stay on the list. She said that it would be ordered within the next 2 or so. Then they will let us know.

I also called and got the same info. They said that they would be sending out an email to everyone on the waitlist once they have it put together. It sounds like they will give us a general idea of where we are ranked and a timeline.

thanks for the info. good luck.

FaytlND said:

got an email, called in today, got in off the 'high' waitlist. put briefly, best phone call ever. accordingly, a portrait of richard silverman will from henceforth be a permanent wall fixture of my future residences right alongside my irreplaceable super troopers movie poster and pat benetar t-shirt. hopefully, this is a sign of the movement to come and the same joyful news i wish for you all (minus the pat benetar stuff; that's mine and mine alone).

I didn't get an email I guess I'm not "high." :confused:

biggreen05 said:
got an email, called in today, got in off the 'high' waitlist. put briefly, best phone call ever. accordingly, a portrait of richard silverman will from henceforth be a permanent wall fixture of my future residences right alongside my irreplaceable super troopers movie poster and pat benetar t-shirt. hopefully, this is a sign of the movement to come and the same joyful news i wish for you all (minus the pat benetar stuff; that's mine and mine alone).

Just to update everyone, I called in this morning and the waitlist is still not ranked. She made it sound like it may not be until close to May 15th. So if there are acceptances sent out before that, I imagine that there is already a small group set aside as the highest ranking group. For the rest of us, its still waiting time.

Just got the mass email from Dean Silverman and guess dial-a-tier will start May 5th. Good luck everyone.

no love for yale around here I guess. I guess that is good for my chances ;)

For both of our chances jjmack. I would sell my first born to get into yale. Although I think there were a fair amount of people asked to be on the waitlist. Here's to hoping everyone decided they liked somewhere else better.