YAY!!!! Yale!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scooby Doo, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

I just received an email from Yale asking me to come for an interview.

Dear Yale Applicant:

I am writing to alert you to the fact that a letter from the Yale School
    of Medicine Admissions Office has been mailed to invite you to come to
    the school for interviews during the month of October. The letter was
    sent to the home address that you provided in your Yale Supplemental
    Application.

I was Regular MD.

I am happy!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

Scooby. That is awesome! Best of luck in the interview.

4. AtYourCervix

AtYourCervix Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    good job and good luck!

DukeGirlie ;)

5. moo

moo 1K Member

I heard Yale offers regional interviews. Is this true?

6. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats Scooby! I'm not surprised though--You deserve it! Good luck & keep us posted on the developments.

7. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

Scooby--

Congrats! I was invited today as well! We probably received the same 3:57pm email...

Needless to say, I was surprised to receive on Saturday--but I guess some of the Adcoms are working more than 9-5, which is nice to see. Maybe i'll see you at the interview...

8. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Good job, scoob - best of luck on the interview!

9. SIXTHSENSE

SIXTHSENSE Junior Member

Hope it goes well...

10. Haiku

Haiku Member

CONGRATS Scooby :D I still can't sit down after receiving the same email. Maybe we'll meet in October!

Good luck and best wishes,
    CS

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Awesome. Congrats to all! :)

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member

I got the same e-mail! I'm ecstatic! I'm going to try to coordinate it with a Columbia interview October 18 and do it on the 19th. Anybody have any experience with Amtrack? Where in Manhattan/New Haven are the stations? How long will the ride be? Any idea how much that would cost? I'm from the west coast, so I want to consolidate, but these are two of my very top choices so I'm a bit afraid that I'll just be overwhelmed with nervousness! Let me know if anybody's going around the same time . . .

13. Focus

Focus crazy!!

Grasshopper, the Amtrak is approximately a 5-10 minute walk from the Yale med school. It's about a 1 1/2 hour ride. The cost's around 20 bucks :)

14. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

wow..that's great...Does anyone know how long the Yale interview lasts?
    I was thinking of consolidating the Yale one with the New York ones as well. I just don't know if I will be able to handle it :(
    Those days get so tiring!

Is it easy to get to the Amtrak from JFK airport???

15. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

Hey all Yale interviewees--

I'm not sure about the exact location of the New Haven Amtrak station (only been through it), it sounds like it would be a quick cab ride or a short walk. I don't know about you all, but the less I have to walk in dress shoes, the better!

What I do know about is Manhattan. Alas, the amtrak stop is *nowhere* near either JFK or LaGuardia. The location is actually right in Manhattan--under Madison Square Garden at Pennsylvania Station (aka Penn Station), which is at 8th Avenue and 34th Street.

From LaGuardia:

Okay, here is the entire lowdown. From Laguardia, you can take the M60 bus. With this bus, you can travel from the airport from the West Side...the m60 runs between Manhattan and LaGuardia from 5am to 1am, seven days a week. The m60 serves all airport terminals. The M60 bus stops in Manhattan are at 125th Street & 8th Ave (Central Park West) and 125th Street & Lenox Ave. Incidentally, you can pretty much reverse these directions and get back to LGA. Note: fare on MTA buses and Subways are $1.50 and easy to buy via Metrocards, where you can decide how much value to add.

Where does this leave you. Okay...get off at the 125th Street & 8th Avenue stop and take the A or C train *uptown* and get off at the 168th Street (Washington Heights) Subway stop. Congratulations, you're at Columbia Hospital/Med School.

From Kennedy/JFK:

Take the A train... For subway service to Manhattan, take the blue, white and yellow Long-Term Parking Lot Bus which departs every
    fifteen minutes, from all JFK terminals. These buses stop at the Howard Beach Subway Station where you'll get onto the A train. Stops are made throughout Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan. When returning to JFK, you should also use the A train, but this time take the train going to Far Rockaway. Again, fare is $1.50 (Cash, token, or Metrocard). Travel time is approximately 60-75 minutes from JFK to the city.

Interestingly, the A train will take you exactly where you need to go, the 168th street/Washington Heights stop where the Hospital and School are.

I hope this helps all the people visiting NYC for interviews. Feel free to email me with any questions on NYC transit and how to get where and when.

Good luck everybody!

:) :) :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

Sorry! I forgot how to tell people to get to Columbia from Penn Station or vice versa...

Its really easy...the A & C trains that you can get to easily from the Med Ctr. stop at Penn Station! That trip is about 10-15 minutes.

What about Cornell??

Unlike Columbia, Cornell is on the East Side, at York & 68th. To get there from Penn Station, you'd take the E train uptown and get off at the Lexington Ave & 51st street stop and transfer to the 4,5,6 trains. Take the 6 train to the 68th Street/Lexington Station then walk four blocks east to York Avenue. The main entrance is located at 525 E. 68th Street, directly east of York Avenue.

If people need it, i'd be happy to post directions on how to get to NYU or Sinai!

18. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations, Scooby!
    Way to go...knock their socks off at the interview. Also, congrats to the rest of you Yale interviewers.

19. slptodoc

slptodoc Senior Member

Just wanted to add my congrats to you!
    Good luck in your interview!!!
    keep us posted!
    L3 :)

20. Sarena

Sarena Member

Congratulations everyone. Yale is awesome and I wish you all the best.

21. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

Hey Scooby,

I got a slightly different email from the MD/PhD program for Oct. 22 and 23rd.

Do you know when you are going to be there?