YAY! YOU GOT IN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dadmd405

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah, finally your dream is a reality! You will be soon be a dentist! You spent thousands on AADSAS, transcripts, travel, and the dat... but young grasshopper it's not over now that you got the call/email! You simply got your foot in the door!

Here is what no one told you:
On top of the deposit you put to hold your seat {$200 to $5,000 at those schools you all know} EEKK, if you hold multiple seats.

background check: $150
Immunizations (tb screening): $0 to 50 depending on what you need.
transcripts (again... so what was the point of aadsas??) $10
APARTMENT SHOPPING... oh boy, the security deposits/application fee. $$$$$$$$$$$$
the cost of moving: buying furniture, UHaul aint cheap & summer gas prices are outrageous

If you're a planner like me, who runs a tight budget... the unexpected hits like the background check did not excite me.

All that ranting aside, this is a good problem to have! I would rather cut checks to doctors, landlords, and certiphi than go through this process again.

As the 2014 application cycle ends and people matriculate (KEEP BELIEVING WAITLISTERS!:xf:), CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE :claps:& WELCOME to the best profession ever! :welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
THIS is what SDN is about! I never even thought about moving costs and apartment fees! I came to the realization the other day about how much it would really cost me (after I have to spend all my savings on the dat and application fees) if I had an interview at a California school and I'm living in Florida....not the cheapest airfare during the fall season....

Thank you again! It would be amazing if people gave other tips on unexpected costs or issues that caught someone off guard.